Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:05 AM   #21

Ah, I've just realised you're referring to the Fuji S6000fd. My brother-in-law has this same model and is really happy with it, and I totally understand this. I wish the Canon PowerShot S5 IS had its 1/1.7" sensor and wide angle 28mm ability.

On the other hand, I'm prepared to stay with a low ISO setting for the benefit of having 8 megapixels, OIS, and aflip-up screen, on top of all of the other shared features.
BeyondPeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:07 AM   #22

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Beyond,

It doesn't have a twisty, swiveling LCD (very few cameras do), it doesn't have IS (works fine without it), it doesn't have 8MP (maybe that's the problem with the other cameras), and it isn't even a current model (although still available, and with a $50 mail in rebate)...

...but it does have a 1/1.7" sensor, you can zoom while taking video (with a manual zoom ring), it has face detection, it has more than a 10x zoom range - beginning at 28mm, and it uses AA batteries...

...AND it has much better image quality at ISO's above 100 than some of the cameras suggested herein. Yes, all of these other cameras will take great, awesome pictures outdoors on a nice sunny day, if you keep the ISO at or below 100. But don't be so naive to believe you can take great ISO 100 pics while sitting inside a moving vehicle, as you traverse a winding course inside "It's a Small World". And the people crammed in the vehicle on either side of you may object to your attempts to implant a tripod leg in their groin. Twisting, swiveling LCD's won't help here...IS won't help here - the subjects are moving as well as you...8MP won't help here - neither will 10 or 12 MP. Sometimes there is no substitution for high ISO performance...bet you can think of some more.

And how about video performance? Would that be any better in low light, if the still picture performance is sub-par?

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

(Fuji S6000fd)
Inside vehicle... no tripod... LOL!

ISO-200....

probably going 25+ MPH... again ISO-200.... was an overcast day... some blurring at 1/125 second... but for me this picture meets my needs... documenting our off-road adventuring.... LOL

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:11 AM   #23

Sold to the man waving his Amex card. Ch-ching!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:36 AM   #24

Saginaw your daughter is really cute. I can choose which camera option to give up, however I could not choose which child. The S5 is a great choice.

Cheers
5150_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:44 AM   #25

5150_girl wrote:
Quote:
Saginaw your daughter is really cute. I can choose which camera option to give up, however I could not choose which child. The S5 is a great choice.

Cheers
Thank you soooo much!!

Here our both my girls... LOL

Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:56 AM   #26

It looks like it's time to put your camera down and mow the lawn. I am going to order my Canon S5 tomorrow, after I've given my decision a chance to mellow in my fickle mind.

Thanks for all your help and comments.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:04 AM   #27

Too cute! My little monsters are always running around. How is the ISO at higher settings? I don't have the S5 but I'm thinging about it. There's just something about it I love. Hubby wants compact so I'll probably go with the SD 870 IS.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:16 AM   #28

5150_girl wrote:
Quote:
Too cute! My little monsters are always running around. How is the ISO at higher settings? I don't have the S5 but I'm thinging about it. There's just something about it I love. Hubby wants compact so I'll probably go with the SD 870 IS.
I think it's ok up to ISO-200.. I very rarely use 200... I try to stay at ISO-80... If i know ahead of time in need something faster I'll drag the 20D out... LOL!

Ok... here are my girls in a little slide show I made for Christmas... all of these pictures are with the S5 except of the very last one... This file is a bit large (24MB)... so right click to save/download...

http://www.v6john.com/Main/Videos/gi...ailee_tree.wmv

Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:19 AM   #29

BeyondPeru wrote:
Quote:
It looks like it's time to put your camera down and mow the lawn. I am going to order my Canon S5 tomorrow, after I've given my decision a chance to mellow in my fickle mind.

Thanks for all your help and comments.

LOL! Funny... but it's not my lawn... part of our off-roading adventure!

Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:31 AM   #30

Very cute slide show. My kids gave me the SD 720 IS for xmas but the flash recycle time is horrible. I miss 90% of everything when their running around or they get tired of posing. I need fast.