Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:06 PM   #41

"Acutally the OP NEVER SAID he was going to be shooting in dark rooms... YOU brought up the "Small World" room... Not the OP... He mentioned Disney... you assumed he had dark rooms in mind... There are situtation where a P&S won't take a good picture no matter what P&S you use..."

What is this fixation with dark rooms? I wasn't talking about dark rooms, I was talking about indoor rides. And it's painfully obvious that you've never been there. You think Disney is all outdoors, nice sunny days, Mickey and Minnie under photofloods? There are a lot of indoor rides and events, like, It's a Small World, Pirates of the Carribean, the Buzz Lightyear spin, the Haunted Mansion, and, as of the last time I was there, flash photography was not allowed in most, if not all of the indoor sections. You still want to recommend the S5 for a Disney trip?

And again, you post pictures taken with a DSLR in a thread that is only concerned with P&S cameras. What is the point? You ask for my local action sports shots taken with a P&S. You want to compare photos taken with a P&S vs. a DSLR? For what reason? To convince the OP to buy an S5? Duh!

I am not now, nor do I have any aspirations to become a professional photographer. I am not great like you;

"I shoot competitive gymnastics... it is a NO FLASH sport..."

But where are all the S5 photos of the gymnastics? Wouldn't they be relevant to the thread at hand? Oh, the S5 isn't capable of capturing gymnastics? And where are your action shots of gymnastics? The 4 pics you've posted so far show no action or movement whatsoever. Where are the mid-air spins, leaps, twisting somersaults? Put up or shut up - and make sure they were taken with your S5...right out of the camera - no post processing.

"Have you ever shot sports in a high school gym? They are typically dark caves as any sports shooter will tell you! Where are your action shots from your local indoor sports team? Your P&S with it's magic ISO-800 or 1600 is going to take blurry, noisey pictures... Come on lets see what kind of images your Fuji produces... You are the one that doesn't consider gyms "dark rooms"... should be a piece of cake for you... oh, and lets see the image straight out of the camera since you are soooo against post processing..."

No, I have not taken sports pics in a high school gym. The only pics I have that could be considered indoor action shots would be the ones I took on 12/2607, at the Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh...Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals. My seat was about 4 rows from the ceiling (nosebleed country), and was probably about 100 yards from the court. Here's a shot I took at ISO 800, resized for posting here...no Photoshop, no Neat Image, no nothing.

And by the way, I never said I was against post processing. I am against deluding people into thinking that a certain camera is going to take great shots, by posting pictures which have been doctored up with two different programs to make them look better, or posting pictures taken with a much more expensive camera in an attempt to convince people that the subject camera can do things it can't. And I never said the S6000 is great, awesome, or magic...I merely suggested that the OP consider it, since it net many of the stated criteria.

The Hun

Attached Images

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:51 PM   #42

I agree that if you want really good images in low light where you can't use a flash than you need to look at a D-SLR. I shoot high school football and baseball for the local paper 2 or 3 times a year and the images I get are not the greatestin the football stadiumwith my Fuji S-9100.... I usually shoot at ISO400 and use noise ninga (?? spelling) plug-in I got for Photoshop Elements. But if I was doing this as my soul income I would look at a D-SLR camera.

Also from what my brother told me about Disney World 9being there in October)and using a cannon A520 camera.... the pictures inside were not that great and they wouldn't let him use his flash. Infact they threaten to take his cameraaway the one time his flash went off. He said 1 in every5 or 6indoor pictures came out.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:34 PM   #43

While we're at it I'd like a car the will carry five plus baggage, cruise at 100mph (160kph) and deliver 45 mpg (5.2 l/100km).
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:57 PM   #44

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
While we're at it I'd like a car the will carry five plus baggage, cruise at 100mph (160kph) and deliver 45 mpg (5.2 l/100km).

hmmmm... carries 4... some baggage... 20 MPG.... hmmm... but it does cruise at 100MPH... LOL!!!

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:54 AM   #45

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
hmmmm... carries 4... some baggage... 20 MPG.... hmmm... but it does cruise at 100MPH... LOL!!!

Nice photo!! Looks like it's close to the specs. to me:-)
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:02 AM   #46

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:

Nice photo!! Looks like it's close to the specs. to me:-)
Thanks!

It's the reason I was away from here for the last couple of years... The car was basically consuming all my time... it was my show car and my race car... 400HP Supercharged V6... Won lots of trophys, got in the magazines... but as I mentioned it was becoming just too much of a burden especially with my baby daughters... so the car and i parted way in August....

So now I have more time for photo stuff! LOL!

Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:27 PM   #47

Think you'd have time for a couple of low light, high ISO action shots (right out of the camera with no PP) taken with your S5? I'd love to see them. I kinda getting bored with all the 20D shots.

Were you allowed to drive the Mustang?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:55 PM   #48

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Think you'd have time for a couple of low light, high ISO action shots (right out of the camera with no PP) taken with your S5? I'd love to see them. I kinda getting bored with all the 20D shots.

Were you allowed to drive the Mustang?

the Hun
I never claimed that the S5 was good for low light action shots... in fact that was one of my points... knowing your equipments strengths and weaknesses... I know the S5 doesn't do well in the upper ISO settings... i know it's limitation so i work around it... by either using a tripod, a flash (either built-in or external) or lugging the 20D out...

as far as the Mustang... I drove it every day... the car was also my daily driver... i raced it and showed it on the weekends... more info on it is at www.v6john.com Poke around there if you are bored with the 20D photos, i have some videos on there...
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:38 PM   #49

Low light, get a DSLR. Most people can get good pics with superzooms for most of their shots. Indoor shots. Use a flash!. Caves at Disneyworld are a challenge for just about any camera. Buy a few postcards while you are there and save yourself the frustration of cave shots.

Don't let the hun get you down. He gets into it with anyone who disagrees with him.

I have an outdated Panasonic FZ8 and I am getting great shots with it, even in doors! Love the superzoom, variable flash, and once I learned how to use the spot meter, I am getting full color on sunset shots, and better shots overall.
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 3:33 PM   #50

richwolf wrote:
Quote:
Don't let the hun get you down. He gets into it with anyone who disagrees with him.

Thanks for the advice!

BTW... we have the same types in the Mustang world too... LOL