Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:39 AM   #1

p my mind!

Hello. I have been visiting this site for some time and I would like you to help me decide between these two models: Canon SD850is and Canon SD870is.

I'm planning to take a lot of "face-only" (portraits) and birthday (low light) photos. I know for low light photos I should choose a DSLR but since I want a camera that will be easy to carry around the city, I've chosen the SD model.

I wonder which of these models is the best for me. I hear image quality is slightly better in the 850 but some people consider the 870's lens better, especially for landscape photos.

I also considered SD700is, but since the other two have face detection, I gave it up. Anyway, anything is better than my old Sony, I guess ...

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:53 PM   #2

:sad:no one?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 5:24 PM   #3

The 850 has the optical viewfinder, the 870 has 28mm wide angle. If neither of these features are important to you, go with what feels best in your hand because the picture quality is very similar.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:11 PM   #4

The 870 has a battery meter if that means anything to you.
dowop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:36 PM   #5

you say you know low light means a dslr, but it sounds like you don't - not really. while fuji does have one camera that is known to be better in low light, i've never seen a digicam that comes close to a dslr in low light. really. unless you plan to use a tripod or will be making 4x6 prints, digicams using ISO settings over 400 - or even 200 in some cases - make grainy prints, and some make blurry grainy prints as the noise reduction comes into play.

my husband's carry around camera is a samsung gx-is. it's a small, light dslr and he carries it everywhere. some oly's are even smaller.

otherwise the fuji f30 and it's followers are considered to be the best low light cameras.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:40 PM   #6

thank you!