Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:40 PM   #11

Thank you all so much for your advice -- it has me rethinking my first choice a bit, as I would like to save some money on the camera itself and then have some extra cash to spend on the lenses I really want, but also want to be able to get my feet wet right off the bat with using this digital stuff. I'm planning on spending a lot of time just taking snapshots at first, to get the feel for a dslr and for the camera itself...so a nice, all round lens (or two) that gives me plenty of learning opportunities is my first priority...followed very closely by the ability to branch out into a couple of "specialty" lenses for more in depth exploration of my particular photographic interests...and I am on a budget...

Now I'm starting to think that I should be looking more closely at the Canon Xti and the Nikon D40xas these two have a bit more choice in lenses. I also called Nikon and was told that any of the old Spiratone filters could be used on whatever Nikon I decided on -- which is nice.

I'm still a bit leery though, as the AF compatibility of the D40x with existing lenses is a bit of a turn off, plus the lack of IS, plus the lack of dust control...horse shows are pretty dusty affairs, so is the great outdoors here in the Midwet, especially around harvest time (just when all those corn fields get really interesting)...

Pro and con comparisons between these two given what I want a camera for????

Sorry if I'm being such a pain....

jlmarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:35 PM   #12

If you're looking for a large selection of lenses, the Nikon D40x isn't for you. Because it doesn't have its own autofocus motor, only lenses with their own autofocus motors will autofocus on the D40x. That only includes about 1/3 of Nikon's and Sigma's lenses, only a handful of Tamron's, and none of Tokina's.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:28 PM   #13

TCav-

In all fairness, there are more than 40 lenses available for either the Nikon D-40 or the D-40X. Here is a sample photo from the Nikon D-40X.

Might you care to post a sample photo?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:08 PM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
In all fairness, there are more than 40 lenses available for either the Nikon D-40 or the D-40X.
Yes, but there are more than 100 lenses avaliable for Canon and other Nikon dSLRs.

In addition, there are over 60 lenses available for both Pentax and Sony dSLRs.

Given those figures, I don't think that "more than 40 lenses" sounds like very much.

To be sure, Four-Thirds.org lists only 32 lenses for 4/3 mount dSLRs. At least the D40 and D40x have more lenses than the Olympus E-410 and E-510.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote