Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:37 AM   #1

Hi there! Iam looking to upgrade my good old friend theFuji S7000. I have been researching cameras for months and am still undecided. I love taking macro shots but also would like to have a high zoom capability. At present I am considering two vastly different cameras - the Panasonic FZ18 and Olympus E510. Iam impressed with the zoom capability of thePanasonic (18x) but the pixel count and image quality of the Olympus DSLR is much superior. Is it possible to get the same zoom capability witha DSLRwithout spending mega bucks? My hobby is printing A3 photos on canvas and board mounting them, so image quality is important.

Please can anyone offer advice?

kmobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:56 AM   #2

With a SLR the camera is just the beginning. You will have to buy a few lenses to get the same coverage as the superzoom. and macro will mean a few more accesories. I sugest you go to a web site such as B&H photo and price what you think you will need. I'm not familair with Olympus so I can offer nothing more. Hopefully some one else can offer more detailed advice.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:13 AM   #3

It depends in what kind of conditions you take your pictures. If you do a lot of low light photography, the 510 will be much better. The 510 is often sold in the US with two lenses and the price has come down a lot in the last few months. However, even with the price cuts the FZ-18 is probably several hundred dollars cheaper. I have the Olympus SP-560. In good light, it takes very good pictures.I used it two nights ago to take pictures of an NBA game. I had to use ISO 800 settings to get ok action shots.The picture quality at that setting is nowhere as good as it would be with any DSLR, BUT I can't get a DSLR into that sports arena because the people at the door have been instructed to keep out all "professional looking" cameras.

I had the S7000 and liked it a lot. A kind of non-DSLR upgrade might be the S6000d, which has more zoom than the S7000 and much better picture quality at higher ISO settings. However, if you want the 18X optical zoom, it seems that most reviewers favor the Panasonic over the SP-560 and the S8000fd.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:55 PM   #4

Thanks for your help. I will certainly get on to that site asap.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:06 PM   #5

Thanks for your help. I always used the 12 megapixel setting on the Fuji S7000. Have you any idea how the quality of the Panasonic FZ18 shots would compare with the Fuji?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:04 PM   #6

The S7000 at 12 megapixels had a bit of noise. I think the image quality of my SP-560 at 8 megapixels is better than the S7000's.Most reviewers say that the image quality of the FZ-18 is superior to that of the SP-560 at ISO 100. If you want 12 megapixels, consider the much more compact F50fd, which has a native, not interpolated, resolution of 12 megapixels. Of course, it has just 3X optical zoom.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote