Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:24 PM   #1

I have a Canon Rebel 2000 film camera and want to go with a digital SLR instead, but I'm pretty poor. So I was looking around at some used cameras and came up with the Canon 10D and the Digital Rebel. Of the two, it looks like the 10D is a lot more sturdy and overall a nicer camera than the Digital Rebel (important if I'm buying used, I don't know what kind of abuse it's been through so I want something that would have stood up to abuse a little bit). I was looking around on ebay and I noticed a LOT of digital Rebels sold broken "as is" so that doesn't bode well for those cameras to me. The reason I was thinking another Canon was because I already have the lens from the Rebel 2000 so I can save on buying a lens if I stick with another Canon. Any suggestions on what to get or where to get it for someone who wants a digital SLR for $200?
CariT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:08 PM   #2

That's a tough one. No doubt the 10d is a better built camera but they're OLD - like 5 years I believe. That's a LOT of potential use and abuse. And there is no way to my knowledge to find out how many clicks are actually on the shutter. A replaced shutter I believe is around $300-$400. As you mentioned, the 300d is a bit flimsy - so while it might have LESS abuse the abuse might do more damage. So it depends how risk tolerant you are. Personally I would NEVER buy a used DSLR. I MIGHT buy a factory refurbished one - at least there you usually get a warranty and they've taken it apart and checked all the parts. So if you're OK with the risk that after $200 your DSLR might break down in a week or a month or a year then I'd be inclined to go with the 10d.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:19 PM   #3

I originally had thought about buying a refurbished camera but can't seem to find any available anywhere. So the only other option for getting a camera that old was buying used. If there are any good places I can get a refurb let me know.
CariT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:45 AM   #4

Carl-

Please tell us how much you are looking to spend on this new camera?? That would be very helpful.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:51 AM   #5

Sarah,

The OP indicated they don't want to spend more than $200.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:48 AM   #6

B&H has a used 6MP Canon Digital Rebel 300D for $279. That's the best I could find.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Rebel_.html
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote