Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:38 PM   #1

I loved my DX6490 but it's losing it's capabilities in low light. Maybe just tired or one to many falls? Anyway......my husband got me a Z812is for Christmas and I'm very disappointed. With my old camera.......maybe one out of 20 shots would be "soft". With this new camera.......the reverse. I can't seem to get a good, sharp picture out of the thing. And the video function produced junk for sound. Couldn't even understand it. Any suggestions for a replacement? I want to take this one back.
hpydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2008, 2:27 PM   #2

Z712
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 2:35 PM   #3

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Z712
Yes, it seems to have attracted fewer complaints & problems.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:13 PM   #4

Thank you for your replies. Before I saw them I went ahead and ordered a Panasonic FZ18. Hope I haven't made another mistake. I spent hours and hours reading all sorts of reviews, but for every positive there's a negative so I guess it's just trial and error in the long run. Fingers crossed on this one. ; )
hpydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:15 PM   #5

Part of the difficulty you may be encountering is that the Z812 has no "Auto" mode as the Z612, Z712 and probably your DX6490 has/had. That has been replaced by a smart scene mode which may be too "smart" if one is used to the behavior of the previous Auto mode. I think you may be able to get a function similar to the previous Auto mode by using the P mode which I think may shut off some of the "smart".

By the way fill flash is not available in the Smart Scene mode but is available in the P mode.

My suggestion to get a Z712 was partly tongue in cheek but it was based on the Z712 having an Auto function like your DX6490.

Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:29 AM   #6

a.c.smith is entirely correct. The P or Programed Auto mode on the Kodak Z-812 workes quite well, and it is just like the older auto. In the last 30 days, I have worked with two Z-812 users and they were getting excellent results.

The Panasonic FZ-18 is a good camera (I have one) but it does take some constant tweaking to get really excellent photo under all lighting conditions.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:31 AM   #7

Sarah:

Good to have you back! Thanks for the confirmation, I had to back into the explanation from the manual, from handling an 812 at BB and from complaints in this and other forums.

I suspect one could learn to use the Smart Scene mode if Kodak providedits logic tree (Ron/Mike, are you listening) or experimentally after a couple of thousand pics.

I use Auto on my Z612 a high percentage of the time, using a half shutter press to see what decisions the camera will make, because the choices usually result in a good picture. I use the P mode preset at ISO 400 so that I can use that when the light suddenly disappears with just one click on the mode dialas the rest of logic remains the same. The high ISO mode on the Z712/Z812 should provide much the same effect as my use of the P mode.

A. C.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:24 PM   #8

a.c.smith-

You were very correct in your post. The Z-712 and Z-812 are very capable cameras, if used within their limitations. The do not do especially well in low light situations without flash.

I own the Z-712 and generally use a slave flash with it to get better flash range. Last month when I was teaching the folks with the Z-812 cameras were only moderately pleased with their results. However, after a bit of one on one help they improved a great deal on their photos.

Sarah Joyce

BTW We are only home through Monday 01/07, and then we head out again.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:33 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
BTW We are only home through Monday 01/07, and then we head out again.
Well, keep the posts coming until then and have a good trip and classes.

A. C.

Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:46 PM   #10

Thanks for the good wishes, acsmith-

Sarah Joyce