Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:29 PM   #1

Hello, well after messing about with a Casio qv-r40 and lately a CasioEX-Z1050, I found theqv-r40 to take the brighter,nicer pictures actually even though the spec is much lower, I've finally decided enough is enough and I have decided to purchase an entry lever Digital SLR.

After some thought and research I've decided on a finepix s9600.

Before I part with my money I'd like to know if this is a good choice?

I'm mainly interested in indoor portraits,makro close ups and landscapes.

Thanks in advance!

Lordy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:59 PM   #2
Administrator

The Fujifilm Finepix S9600 (a.k.a., S9100) is not a Digital SLR.

Examples of Digital SLR models would include the Nikon D40, D40x; Canon Rebel XT, XTi; Sony DSLR-A100, Pentax K100D, Olympus E-410, E-510.

These types of cameras usually have much larger sensors compared to non-DSLR models, and they also have interchangeable lenses. In addition, you have a through the lens optical viewfinder with this type of camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:38 AM   #3

Aha, thanks for the answer. I called the Finepix S9600 a digital SLR asI've seen it listed as such on sales pages etc....

So you can't interchange lenses on a Finepix S9600?

What camera do I buy for my needs? (indoor portraits,makro close ups and landscapes)

Obviously the cheaper the better.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Administrator

That Fuji has a permanently attached lens (not interchangeable). You could probably find some add-on lenses that would work with it. But, most tend to degrade image quality.

What kind of macros? A fly is one thing, a flower is another.

Many of the kit type lenses included with entry level DSLR models have 1:4 Macro ability. IOW, you can fill the frame with a subject 4 times the size of the sensor.

That's fine for most smaller subjects. If you need to fill the frame with something even smaller, you can get dedicated 1:1 Macro lenses for DSLR models (capable of filling the frame with a subject the size of the sensor).

What kind of portraits? If you want existing light ability without a flash, your best bet is a DSLR. Even with a flash, a DSLR is usually a better bet, since you can get good external flash models designed to work better with them, capable of adjusting their ouput based on camera settings, focus distance and more.

You can also get lenses for most DSLR models that are designed to give you a shallower depth of field (less of the image in focus as you get further away from your focus point). That can help your subjects stand out from distracting backgrounds.

It's very difficult to achieve that kind of thing using a non-DSLR model like the Fuji you're looking at. That's because that type of camera has a very small sensor, and a much shorter focal length lens can be used for any given 35mm equivalent focal length (same angle of view/apparent magnfication).

Look at some of the cameras I mentioned in my last post for examples of entry level DSLR models if you decide to go that route.

Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the info JimC.

The entry level DSLR's are out of my price range sadly.

I can only afford £250 at the most.

The problem is,I'm fedup with my CasioEX-Z1050.I've tried everything on it,setting the contrast and brightnest to maximum,flash on,flash off,fill in flash,ISO 800.

THe pics are duller than my old Casio qv-r40, and even duller than a Creative PC-CAM 750 I used years ago.Those pics were lovely,yet low res.

To clarify I want to improve my indoor portraits with flash, and macro stuff like books,eBay items etc.I'd like to do some arty stuff too.

Maybe theres an entry level that would suit me?

What camera should I go for?

Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:38 PM   #6
Administrator

A good place to start your search is our Best Cameras List, which is a list of cameras deemed to be a good value within their market niche. The Fuji you're considering is in the list (it's known as the S9100 in the U.S.).

But, I'd suggest posting a sample image or two first, and try to let members help you figure out why the images are coming out the way they are.

You may be able to make some simple changes in settings or technique and get the results you're looking for. For example, if you think the images are too dark, a simple exposure compensation setting may fix that (and I would *not* increase contrast on most point and shoot cameras like you mentioned doing, as they tend to be too contrasty already).

As for flash photos, you may want to consider a model that uses an external flash that you can bounce for more even/diffused lighting. The built in flash in most cameras is not going to give very good results.

Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:40 PM   #7

Everything I had read and heard says the s9600 is an exhalent camera. I almost bought one but found a used DSLR cheaper. It has a good lens for Marco work and the movable LCD will be a big help in the area too. It does have a smaller censor than a DSLR would and that has some draw backs But image quality is quite good.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:52 PM   #8

I needed a photo sample from my Sony H-5 today. So I searched around for it. Crammed in a fresh set of batteries, and took the needed photos.

Wow! I was really amazed at how good the IQ was on those H-5 photos. No, they were not quite as good as my Canon 20D, but, damn! They were darned good photos.

Perhaps there is a wake-up call here! Perhaps the DSLR is not the end all?? What do you think??

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:14 PM   #9

As JimC advises, it would be a good idea to post some examples of the problem photos to see if anyone can help. I'm a little surprised that the Casio EX-Z1050 cannot give you suitable pictures, since there is a lot of flexibility in the menus to get the type of images you like (I've had 2 Casio compacts and a friend has the same model as you - the menus are all very similar). The automatic exposures are usually very reliable and colours are normally vivid. There may be a setting, e.g., negative exposure compensation, which is always applied by the camera and therefore makes your pictures dark? If you check the EV exposure in the Quality menu, this should be set at 0.0 - if this is correct, you can set a positive compensation such as +0.3 or +0.7 and see if this makes a difference.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:32 PM   #10

ieyedeer has provided you some excellent advice-

The decision to go to a DSLR camera is not a bad idea. A DSLR will beat the Fuji S-9XXX series cameras, in my opinion. I own a Fuji S-9000 and a Nikon D-40. I prefer the Nikon D-40 and feel that I also have a lot more camera optionswith the D-40 that are not present in the Fuji S-9XXX series cameras.

Here is an informal portrait sample taken with the D-40, using the Nikkor 55-200mmVR lens, and the SB-800 flash set for bounce flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote