Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:06 PM   #11

I agree with Greg-

However, when you lack anything else, the professional reviews are a real assist.

The review by Steve of the Fuji S-8000 was impressive. The sample photos look pretty good. I will be attempting to barrow a Fuji S-8000 to use over the weekend. I will keep you posted.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:43 PM   #12

Hi Sharooz,

Had to make exactly the same choice myself a month back, for a 3.5 week trip round China. I literally went into the shop, lined the three cameras up on the counter and played around with them.I went for the FZ-18 because:

If I remember correctly, it was the only one of the three that took rechargeable batteries rather than AA's - which meant it was thesmallest and lightest

The Oly wouldn't switch from menu to shoot mode by pressing the shutter- SO annoying:X

I was a little unsure about the slightly 'toy-like' feel to it - but that's because it is small and light, and that also makes it a lot more fun to use.

I've not regretted it. It got put through the paces in China, and although the photographer has some serious technical issues the camera was fine Ithought- but I'm no 'pixel peeper'. Did particularly well on photos of HK harbour front from a fast,bumpyferry at night.

My sister upgraded to a TZ3- and then tried to get her hands onmy FZ18 whenever she could!
Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:25 PM   #13

Wibblemore-

It is indeed good to hear from you again. I own the Olympus SP-550 and the Panasonic FZ-18, and I have the Fuji S-8000 on order. I hope that your trip was wonderful.

The FZ-18 takes a bit too much tweaking in my opinion to get really great photos under all conditions. I am thinking that the Fuji S-8000 might be the better choice. Here is hoping, as I tilt my champagne glass toward you!

Can you provide us with a sample or two from the Panasonic FZ-18??

Sarah Joyce

Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:03 AM   #14

Hi Sarah Joyce,

I owe you a massive vote of thanks for pointing me towards the FZ-18; it's very nearly the ideal camera for me, so I'm happy with it

I agree about the tweaking - I did find myself compensating the exposure on a few ocasions, but, hey!! I Compensated Exposure! I've never done that on a camera before! I think that says a lot about the FZ-18 for me; the KM A2 had more intuitive controls, but the FZ-18 is a lot less intimidating.

It was a wonderful trip, thank you, if the itinerary was jam-packed and my sister picked up a cold on the plane going out which she decided to share with me half-way through! It was a real eye-opener re. polluction and the environment - the smog in Beijing was awful; I wouldn't want to go out there next year in the summer....

Photos here: http://cid-fe8e7767772b8fe4.spaces.l...7772B8FE4!110/

-It would only let me upload half the shots in one go, however....Please don't judge the camera by the photographer - rank amateur at work here! However I think some of the shots came out ok, which shows what this camera can do even when in my hands...:?

Any tips gratefully received!

I'd love to here how the Fuji compares - but it was a bit too big and heavy for my liking...

Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:39 AM   #15

Wibblemore-

The photos look very good. I am glad that you have enjoyed the FZ-18. I checked this morning and the Fuji S-8000 will not get here before we leave again, so experimenting with the S-8000 will have to wait until we get back from Sydney, Australia around 15 February.

It was good to hear from you.

Sarah Joyce