Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:55 AM   #1

Hello guys!

I am a victim of the oft repeated yet exasperating management decesions by some manufacturers, which result in stoppage of the production of excellent models and replace them with run of the mill mediocrity.

I was a happy owner of Fujifilm F10 and decided to give it to my brother and to upgrade to F-30/F-31. After I had presented the camera to my brother, on checking on line and in stores I found out to my exasperation that the said models were not available anywhere and instead some higher MP models having worse picture quality had been introduced.

Grrrrrr. I really cannot understand the logic behind all this. If I were the boss I would have sacked the team who recommended the stoppage of F20/30/31fd production.:evil:

Anyway since I cannot avail of this wish, I have decided to do the second best, that is to ask for the opinion of the members of this forum about the alternatives to F-30/31fd. What I am looking for is a comact camera with comaparable low light performance w.r.t. noise control and image quality. It should also be capable of at par performance in good light.

Any suggestions druids?:?
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:23 AM   #2

wise-

Not to long ago I noticed that www.amazon had a Fuji F-10 for sale. You might check there first. Another possible source would be e-bay. I am also a very contented F-10 user, so I do understand your feelings. Next to the F-10, the F-20 is not quite as good, but it would be my secondary choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:43 AM   #3

"I am a victim of the oft repeated yet exasperating management decesions by some manufacturers, which result in stoppage of the production of excellent models and replace them with run of the mill mediocrity."

wise,

You and the whole world are affected by these decisions...and not just in the world of digital photography. The constant drive to lower costs and increase profits by utilizing cheaper materials, cheaper assembly techniques, and cheaper labor, thereby increasing bonuses for a few senior management individuals (to the point of becoming obscene), is adversely affecting the quality of automobiles, aircraft and nuclear reactors as well as digicams (scary thought, isn't it?).

Fuji, who just a short while ago dominated the P&S camera world with low light performance, succumbed to the pressure of providing features that the other manufacturers were offering on their cameras, such as more MP's, bigger zooms, IS, SD cards, and a plethora of scene modes. Changing to and adding these features cost a lot of money. In order to stay competitive, price wise, something had to go. And it did. Now Fuji cameras handle low light just like everyone else - they are crap...
IMHO...

Now that I've vented...

I would suggest looking at the Fuji F40. Although its performance is more like the F20 than the F31, it's probably the best low light compact around - at least I think it's still around. The F50 has the same size sensor, but Fuji decided to use cram 12MP into it. There are quite a few images here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F50FD/F50FDA7.HTM

Take a look for yourself. I was not impressed.

Good luck with your search.
the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:40 PM   #4

You can still find F30 and F31fd on e-Bay. Some are going for more than they were new. You could try the F40fd. Same 1/1.6 sensor as the F50fd but 4 fewer MPs. No manual shutter or aperture, it's point & shoot. You could buy your brother a F40fd and try to get the F10 back. :-)

Unfortunately low light performance in the compact segment doesn't sell as well as higher MP numbers. A company's job is to make money for its shareholders.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:10 PM   #5

Yes, www.amazon.com does indeed still list the Fuji F-10 as being available for $99.95.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:27 AM   #6
Super Moderator

IMO they just realised they were on a hiding to nothing.

At higher ISO values they are all bad. The F10 was still rubbish, simply the best of a very bad bunch.

If you want to do higher ISO photography you simply need a bigger sensor. Sigma are promising the DP1 for some time in 2008.

You could try the Pentax K100D and one of their pancake lenses, hardly the same size as the F10 but small compared to most DSLR outfits.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 6:59 AM   #7

I agree 100% with Peripathetic-

The Fuji F- series cameras were good as a point & shoot camera, with the F-10 being the best of the lot. However, with each progressive model they have gotten more noise ridden and the photo quality has dropped considerably.

A small DSLR with a small lens will produce substatially better photo quality, albeit at a size penalty and cost penalty.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:21 AM   #8

Thanks a lot for your comments and information.

Actually I do own other cameras, one Pana FZ-20 ( for long zoom day light), one Nikon D40 ( for relaxed ,time taking photos) and F-10 was as pocket camera. I know the low noise pics with my nokon are much better than by F-10, but I can not take the Nikon everywhere and cannot take it out of the pack fast enough to suit a hurried photo opportunity. I aslo agree that there are better and lower priced cameras from other manufacturers for day light but in indoor situations if you want to capture the mood of the surroundings, you will have to shoot without flash, and there the Fujis (F-10/11/30/31fd) were the reigning monarchs of a small kingdom(of low light capable compacts)

No problem, I may actually buy an F-30, at a higher cost to suit my requirement.

Thanks anyway for trying to help.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote