Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:11 PM   #1

Hey everyone! Looking to purchase a new digital camera before I head on vacation. My budget is about $250+-$50 and the brands I prefer are Canon, Olympus, And Nikon. The features I would like are;shutter speed control, image stabilization, and good picture quality (7-8MP;s) jAs far as size goes, I like the ones that are a big larger, NOT the pocket/credit card sized ones. I've tried to read thru all kinds if information, but it just confuses me more.

Please help!

Cris P.
s2cmpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:22 PM   #2

In your price range, Olympus doesn't have any larger cameras, as far as I know. Nikon has one, the P50, which hasn't been out too long but has received some good reviews. Canon has the A720IS with a 6x optical zoom and the SX100 with a 10x optical zoom, both of which have received excellent reviews. The Canons have optical image stabilization, which reduces the blur from camera shake. The Nikon and the Canons run on AA batteries and have a slow flash recycle.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:44 PM   #3

If you are considering the 10X optical zoom, IS equipped Canon SX-100, also be sure to consider the Sony H-3 which is very similiar and has equal features.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions! After looking at the Canon SX 100 IS, I'm leaning towards that one over a Sony. I noticed it doesn't have a view finder, is that a bad thing? My GF told me the Sony's use a proprietary battery and memory card, which = $$$$. Any other suggestions? And any help where to purchase online for a good price?

Cris P.
s2cmpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:46 PM   #5

Cris-

The bottom line is simply this: The Sony H-3 is the better camera over the Canon SX-100. Just look at the reviews, please. Neither camera has a viewfinder. Instead the both depend on the LCD for framing your photos.

How do I know, you might ask? As a Professional Digital Camera Instructor, we often get a chance to audition these cameras before they come to the consumer market. I have shot several hundred photoswith both the Canon SX-100 and the Sony H-3. It is just my opinion, but i believe that the Sony H-3 is the better camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:00 PM   #6

If I were you, I would expand my budget by about $25 and look at the Panasonic FZ-18, 18X zoom, large frame, and takes excellent pictures. All the reviewers say it is the best of the superzooms.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:19 PM   #7

I agree with 2many-

A small increase in your budget will net you many more features and a very excellent camera, the FZ-18 is an excellent choice. Now the question is this: can the budget be squeezed a bit to accommodate the FZ-18.

A real bonus that you get with the FZ-18 is a very goodEVF (rlrctronic viewfinder which neither the Canon SX-100 not the Sony H-3 do not have. If the FZ-18 is too great a stretch on the budget, take a look at the Panasonic FZ-8 or the Kodak Z-712 which both have 12X optical zoom and IS.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:52 PM   #8

"All the reviewers say it is the best of the superzooms."

Oh come now...they do not...

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

"Panasonic has created a really nice ultra zoom camera in the FZ18, though once again, image quality needs improvement. "

"While it's not the ultra zoom image quality champion, the FZ18 has so much to offer that it easily earns my recommendation."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ18/FZ18A.HTM

"If the sensor were better, the Panasonic FZ18 would be our top pick overall in long zoom digicams. "

http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Panas...Z18-review.htm

"Coupled to a well-designed and relatively compact camera body, these all make the Panasonic Lumix FZ18 a strong contender in the super-zoom field and one you should certainly put on your shortlist if you are in the market for this kind of camera."

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...dmc_fz18_6.php

"Overall though I don't feel as excited about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 as I feel I should be – perhaps there was too long for expectation to build between the initial announcement and a hands-on with pre-production models UK journalists had back in July, and a review sample becoming available."

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...mpressions.htm

"There are two other 18x ultra-zoom cameras currently on the market; the Olympus SP-560UZ retails for $499 and the Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd sells for $399. The Panasonic FZ18 still has competition, but is priced to sell – not to impress. "

http://www.digicamreview.com/panason...z18_review.htm

"The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 is available from around £256, this makes it more expensive than it's main competitors, the Olympus SP-560UZ, and the Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd, however, I feel it still represents good value for money. "

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_..._fz18_pg5.html

"That said, with a street price of US$399 or less, we feel the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 offers great "bang for your buck", and is sure to be a very popular model this 2007 holiday season."

...I must have missed some...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:34 PM   #9

Thank you for your input, must be another Canon pusher.

Take a real review by someone not getting paid by Nikon or Canon to shoot down everyone else product

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4837...t-results.html
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:17 PM   #10

I thought you said:

"All the reviewers say it is the best of the superzooms."

Maybe you meant to say 'popphoto says it is the best of the 18x superzooms'.

This is what they said:

"If you've been following the category rankings thus far, it should come as no surprise that it is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 that we're ready to call the king of the 18x superzooms."

That's not the same thing as 'best of the superzooms', is it? There are a lot more superzooms out there than the three popphoto reviewed. Popphoto is not all of the reviewers. Popphoto is one of the reviewers. Popphoto is one reviewer I've never heard of until tonight.

"...must be another Canon pusher."

I just don't think it's right to make untrue statements like you did.

" Take a real review by someone not getting paid by Nikon or Canon to shoot down everyone else product"

You have to be kidding....real review? Moderate noise at ISO 1600? What a joke! Are you saying that all the other reviewers are geting paid by Nikon or Canon? Do you have proof of that? Do you have any idea what you're saying?

Maybe popphoto is your web site, and you're getting paid by Panasonic to shoot down all the other cameras.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote