Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:29 PM   #11

SueSwee wrote:
Quote:
The company pays for it, but there isn't an unlimited budget. I don't want to push for a vastly more expensive camera, if it's something we won't need or use all that much.
This sounds like a 'one time' thing, or at least something you'll do infrequently.

Two alternatives come to mind:
  1. Rent good equipment. [/*]
  2. Hire a professional photographer.[/*]
We're talking about a relatively expensive investment (camera, lenses, flash, accessories, etc.) that will be used infrequently for what may be a relatively intense and complex process. Rather than beat your head against the wall trying to do it this time, and then have to beat your head against the wall trying to do it next time, hire someone that knows how to do it. It will be easier on all concerned, and you'll get better results sooner and for less money.

If you really want to do it yourself (or your boss really wants you to do it), and you are near a major metropolitan area, most major camera retailers offer rental of some really good equipment, that you can use to get the job done, and return it when you're done.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:01 AM   #12

I agree with TCav, you should consider something other than buying a camera. For sure you should get an estimate/bid from a pro to do the job. A pro with experience in this kind of thing - not just doing weddings, parties, family portraits.

SueSwee wrote:
Quote:
... I'll be photographing stone fabrication equipment and facilities (large), and people working. The close-up images with have to show stone texture, color, and hand-carved details--that's not in the "intricate" category (like watch parts--your example). The images will be used in print (brochures, advertising, magazines) and for the web (not as crucial resolution-wise, but I usually need to crop/enlarge images to get the details I want to show). ...
What you want to do has more to do with lighting and post processing than with the choice of equipment. I strongly suggest that you try getting those shots with whatever camera you have available now. If you do not know enough to get the details with a cell phone's camera, you are not likely to be able to get them with the most expensive camera avialable.

Getting the color in the printed publication to match the color in the stone is another big issue - one you would likely do well to leave to the pros.

Could you have trouble on you job if you attempted this photo job and failed to do as well as you boss wanted?

I am not a professional photographer. Partly because I am lazy, and partly because I don't want to spoil a good hobby.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:19 AM   #13

Thanks again for your replies and advice.

I talked to the graphic designer yesterday, and she suggested using a professional photographer as well. I'm pretty sure that's the way we'll go. A big relief for me, actually. I do take pretty decent shots, and I have been modifying them to suit various purposes--office docs, web thumbnails, etc., but I'm not a professional, that's for sure.

All this research has renewed my interest in photography, and I may just buy a dSLR for myself---to enjoy!

SS
SueSwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:13 PM   #14

SueSwee wrote:
Quote:
All this research has renewed my interest in photography, and I may just buy a dSLR for myself---to enjoy!
Good luck with that. And come back and see us some time, and show us what you've been up to.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:56 AM   #15

Thanks, TCav! I will.

SS
SueSwee is offline   Reply With Quote