Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:39 PM   #1

Currently I have the Rebel XTi. But as I am beginning to dip my toe into the waters of professional photography I think it is time to upgrade. Mainly right now I am cconcentrating on weddings and studio/outdoor portraits. I am looking at the Canon 5D, the Nikon 2DX, and the Nikon 2DXs. Any opinions on these or any other suggestions? I have two friends that are huge Nikon fans and insist I go Nikon.
shannan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:51 PM   #2

What lenses do you have?

If you have a large investment in Canon lenses and accessories, there's a good reason for going with the 5D.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:16 PM   #3

I have canon lenses 70-300 f4.5-5.6 and 28-135 f/3.5-135. And the canon speedlite 430EX. Not a HUGE investment but one of the reasons I am considering the Canon 5D. However if it is better in the long run to go with the Nikons, I'd rather cut my loses now. Besides I can eBay anything I don't keep and make a little of the cash back. Quality for what I want to use the camera for is my biggest priority right now. Mainly weddings and portraits.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:37 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The usual ones...

The D2 is a "pro" body. Built like a tank, top-notch AF, weather sealing, great buffer, etc, etc. DX format - good for telephoto. But the new D300 seems to be pretty much exactly the same camera without the built-in vertical grip at half the price. So it becomes hard to see why anyone would buy the D2Xs anymore.

The 5D has a bigger sensor, kicks butt at higher ISO and allows you all the FX format advantages. In particular the DOF control is much better. And for some folk the fact that it's smaller, lighter and less conspicuous and not as expensive (or expensive looking) is a big plus.

Both cameras are pretty good value at the moment and can be had at prices well below (maybe only 60% of) their original launch price.

For landscape and portrait work I would go the 5D route, for action photography (sports and wildlife) I'd go D300/D2.

As to your existing lenses, well there isn't anything wrong with them particularly, but
you will likely find you want to go L to take advantage of the fantastic 5D sensor. In particular I'd get the 5D with the 24-105L as a kit because it saves a few hundred $ on the lens price and trade-in the 28-135.

For weddings and portraits you might as well join the throng of 90% of the world's wedding/portrait photographers and get a 5D.

There is of course a camera that combines the amazing IQ of the 5D with the ergonomics and features of the D2 - it's the new Nikon D3. But for the same money you could get yourself two 5Ds.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:32 AM   #5

Take this for what it's worth. Last weekend I was shooting a swim meet and there was another photographer shooting it as well. He was a studio photographer shooting for year book. We chatted on and off for a few hours. His studio makes most of their money from portraits and senior pictures (he was there for yearbook photos for the school). He has used the Fuji, Canon 5d and Nikon D2x. Right now he is using a combo of the Fuji's and the 5d for weddings. The Fujis have the best color and skintone reproduction but in his opinion were built very poorly. They were constantly breaking. In addition to the wide angle benefit, he felt the 5d produced much better skin tone reproductiono than the Nikon. Now, the newer D3 and D300 are completely different. I would recommend finding reviews from any wedding / portrait photogs that use those new cameras to see what their opinion is.

Both canon and nikon have top notch lenses so that won't be an issue.

Again, this is second hand. But the guy does own a large studio and do the portrait work for several area schools. And he's used all 3 systems.

Unfortunately I have no personal experience with the cameras in question. I would urge you to seek out wedding photographers and ask their opinions. I believe Fred Miranda has a forum dedicated to wedding photographers. That might be an excellent place to get pro advice.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:27 PM   #6

You should also consider having a backup camera on hand for the wedding events into your upgrade plan.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:20 PM   #7

Actually, I have decided to keep the rebel xti for back up.Anotherreason to get another camera, so I have two.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:46 PM   #8

shannan1970 wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I have decided to keep the rebel xti for back up.Anotherreason to get another camera, so I have two.
If you'll be keeping the Canon as a backup, why would you consider a Nikon as your primary camera? If a Nikon is your primary and a Canon is your secondary, you'll also need appropriate lenses for each of them. How much are you prepared to carry around?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote