Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:21 PM   #1

:?I am in the market for a digital camera. I have never owned one. We are traveling to the Amalfi coast in March, and I am desperate for some help!!!! We have been looking at the Canon 950 and also the A650 IS, only because of the extra zoom function. Which camera is the better of the two??

Thanks for any help given...

jmaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:20 AM   #2

It's difficult to define "better", when you haven't defined your needs. The 950 is "better" at fitting conveniently in your shirt pocket, if that is important to you. The 650 is "better" at giving you more options, including zoom range, and many other manual settings, etc. However, the 650 may be too bulky for you. I have the older 620, and prefer it over something like the 950, because of the manual settings, moveable LCD, and other things I consider important. Therefore, I would recommend the 650 for the long term view of things. Both have IS, and12MP, but keep your ISO settings low for either camera to help avoid noise at high ISO settings.
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:46 AM   #3

Thanks so much for the advice!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:09 PM   #4

:?What do you think about the Canon G9. It seems to have everything I need. Are there any cons to it?
Joy Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:17 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Only the price.

Here's a nice article about it.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...G9-Japan.shtml
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:53 PM   #6

Well, we ordered it. $446.00 total price. Does anyone out there have one? What do you think about it? It has everything that we need and seems like a wonderful little camera for the price.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:01 AM   #7

I just got G9 for $429, The camera feels heavy and very big compared with my brother's Canon Powershot SD-700, and in automatic control the pictures are almost the same, but when using manual control it just becomes the magic!! I am an amature and was able to take point and shoot photos with out messing with all the numerous adjustments and all but 2 of the 600 pics I took came out perfect. This camera is fast and takes the best pictures I have ever seen.
caf120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:21 AM   #8

With the G9 how do you know how to set the manual control? I can use any pointers for I am totally green with this. What determines how you set it?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:55 AM   #9

jmaddox wrote:
Quote:
With the G9 how do you know how to set the manual control? I can use any pointers for I am totally green with this. What determines how you set it?
I was just asking this question on this message board the other day with respect to my Canon A720. After a little research this is what I found (in a very simplistic way - I'm a rank beginner):

1. Set your camera to manual mode.
2. Adjust your aperture to let in the amount of light you want - the lower the number the more light comes in.
3. Adjust your shutter speed. The faster the shutter speed, the less chance of a blurred picture. Anything slower than 1/10 of a second and you'll probably get blur, even with a camera that has optical image stabilization like the G9
4. Adjust your ISO. The higher the ISO, the brighter the picture but the more noise in the picture.
5. Keep looking at your LCD screen. It will look give you a good idea how your final picture will look.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:28 AM   #10

did you look at the Canon SX100 edit. i just seen that you ordered the G9

wilson44512 is offline   Reply With Quote