Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:49 PM   #1

I purchased lately a canon S5IS which has an inside lens image stabilizer.

the stabilizer has 3 options: continuous, one shot (only while shooting), and pan (only for panorama)

From my experience i see that in the continuous mode, the stabilizer does not do any improvement while shooting inside home without flash. the pictures are blurred.

but in the one shot mode, it does do a good job.

has anybody any explaination to this thing?

the canon assistance refuses to answer as the camera was baught from anither importer, while the importer when you call for assistance and service, is unreachable.

shmueli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 3:07 PM   #2

Image stabilization prevents blur from camera movement. Taking shots indoors without the flash doesn't give the camera enough light, so it holds the shutter open longer and the subject moves. What you're seeing is subject blur. Image stabilization won't help that. You could put the camera on a tripod and still get the same result. You need more light.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:01 PM   #3

But why does the image stabilizer work better in one-shot mode than in continuous mode? That's what the OP was asking (and what I'd like to know too). Does anyone have an explanation for this?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:01 AM   #4

Don't know if this make any sense to all of you.

IS reduces the effect but not eliminate it. Our hands are shaking like a wave, for example: they're shaking up and down.

IMHO, perhaps there's a moment when our hands and IS compensation misaligned, probably when IS move to a direction to compensate our hands, but in the samemoment, our handsmove faster to a different direction.

In one shot mode, the IS doesn't move the sensor (it's still in the normal position) till we take the shot. So, when the shake comes, the sensor only tilt a bit to a direction and fast enough to make the picture steady.

Ifwe use continuous mode, IS will try to compensate our hands all the time. When the shakecomes (pressing the shutter button), perhaps the sensor is already tilted to a different direction and not fast enough to compensate the shake.

Just my humble opinion...
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:24 AM   #5

DChris:

I'm going to suggest a slightly different explanation. Using IS in continous mode stabilizes the image we are viewing, one shot doesn't. It may be that having the viewing image stabilized somewhat making the user less conscious of camera shake whereas with one shot the user sees ALL the shake and tries to steady the camera naturally.

This speculation is not really supported by the limited test results that are available. DPReviews tests find that some camera continuous works better than one shot, the other way around on others and some cameras, no difference. Adding to the confusion on some cameras they find differences but can't predict when one mode is better than the other

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:30 AM   #6

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
But why does the image stabilizer work better in one-shot mode than in continuous mode? That's what the OP was asking (and what I'd like to know too). Does anyone have an explanation for this?
Quite right. I missed that, and I don't have an answer for that.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:35 AM   #7

shmueli2 wrote:
Quote:
...stabilizer has 3 options: ....and pan (only for panorama)
Anyone know, or able to guess, what that mode might be doing that's different?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I don't know about the S5 but in the canon SRL lenses "pan" doesn't have anything to do with panorama, it is for panning action shots.

The stabilizer works only to stabilize the vertical plane and allows horizontal movement for panning moving objects like cars , birds, runners, etc.

I cannot imagine what kind of IS would be suitable for panoramas.

Again in the SLR world the One-shot and Continuous refer to shutter modes and have nothing to do with IS.

I'm afraid I'm at a loss to explain the OP's problem, except possibly that it is based on a misdiagonosis of what is going on and other factors are at work.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:12 PM   #9

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
....it is for panning action shots....
Yes, of course, that'll be it. It could be some kind of recognition software that tries to lock on a central object against a moving background. Nothing to do with panos.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:53 PM   #10

From what I've read, all Panning mode does is disable the horizontal motion sensor while maintaining the vertical motion sensor.

Of course, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again in the future. :lol: