Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:01 PM   #1

Alrighty, I currently have a Nikon CoolPix S200. I got it for my birthday and I've had it now for about 3 months. Its not getting along with me well. It takes fine pictures, for the most part. I've tweaked the settings every way possible but I still always am dissatisfied!

Here are my thoughts about it! (what i don't want in a camera!)

Peeves: There is almost ALWAYS red eyes, with or without the red-eye corrector enable. it NEVER takes good pictures w/o flash [their noisy], unless its outside in daylight, my pictures always come out blurry, though I know I'm taking them right. I hold down the button half way to focus then press it all the way to take a picture. It always takes it FOREVER to focus!

But the thing I hate the most about it is viewing the pictures I've taken! I press the playback button, and if you accidentally even tap the button you take the picture with, it reverts back to the first picture! This is extremely annoying when i'm looking through the 600 pictures i have on my memory card...

there are other things... but the bottom line is I want a new camera. I plan on selling mine and buying a new one with that money. Hopefully it'll be enough! I'll most likely be purchasing a new camera off ebay, since that;s where I'll be selling at.

what I DO WANT in a camera:

pictures that come out clear and sharp
i don't want to take and retake pictures several times to get a good one!
no more red eyes!
macro function is a must!!
7.0 MP or above!
i want the camera its to be cute/colorful!
i want something compact/pocketsize
i like neat little features like the s200 had.. face detection, portrait modes, etc! not a necessity.. but a want!
weatherproof would be nice.... but dont really need it!
oh yeah, i prefer SD cards!!

price range: up to $200 (250 at the highest, but i really want something under 150-180)

I really wanted a nikon as my digicam.. but i just don't like the s200... is there a different nikon for me thats cute!!

Also, I'm really interested in the Casio Exilims.. perhaps the EX-z77... but I'm open to anything really -- Fuji, HP, Kodak, Sanyo....I just want some recs! Plus I like to see sample shots of everything!

Budget

* price range: up to $200 (250 at the highest, but i really want something under 150-180)

Size

Features

7.0 MP or above! (the higher the better!)

* optical zoom: standard 3x-4x, butter again higher is better!

* image quality - 8-10!

* a macro function is a must!!!

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? itd be nice.... but not neccessary if the price isnt right!

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
scrapbooking, makeup closeups, everyday stuff! myspace etc

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
most likely not!

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
yeap... dont want noisy stuff... and i dont want it to make the pictures too bright!

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
occasionally!

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
I really wanted a nikon as my digicam.. but i just don't like the s200... is there a different nikon for me thats cute!! is the nikon s500 better? any other models??

Also, I'm really interested in the Casio Exilims.. perhaps the EX-z77... but I'm open to anything really -- Fuji, HP, Kodak, Sanyo....I just want some recs! Plus I like to see sample shots of everything!

features: Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, face detection, portrait modes similar to those found on the nikon

TIA!!!!
citre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:37 AM   #2

citre wrote:
Quote:
what I DO WANT in a camera:

pictures that come out clear and sharp
i don't want to take and retake pictures several times to get a good one!
no more red eyes!
macro function is a must!!
7.0 MP or above!
i like neat little features like the s200 had.. face detection, portrait modes, etc! not a necessity.. but a want!
weatherproof would be nice.... but dont really need it!
oh yeah, i prefer SD cards!!

price range: up to $200 (250 at the highest, but i really want something under 150-180)

I really wanted a nikon as my digicam..

Budget

* price range: up to $200 (250 at the highest, but i really want something under 150-180)

TIA!!!!
1. Red-eye is a touch and go issue with compact P&S cameras - the flash is too close to the line between the camera lens and the back of the eyes of the subject. There will always be red-eyes at one time or another. I got away from this by going to a slightly larger P&S like the Canon S5 - so far no red eyes in all my shots!

2. Cute and colorful - hmmmm, tough one. Cute is very subjective and colorful - the camera itself or the pics?

3. Nikon - your preference. Good brand.

My suggestion; go to the camera review section of this forum and focus first on the Nikons. There are pictures of the cameras - you can see if they are cute and colorful enough for you.

The reviews will give you information on red-eye, macro, shutter lag times, flash times and the other elements important to you.

My two-cents worth.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote