Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:44 AM   #1

Dear All

I live in Karachi, Pakistan. I have a small family of three childrens wife. I want to purchase a digital camera for my home use. I never used before any digital camera and not know about the basics of digital camera.

Can u guide me that whats essential to know before purchasing any digital camera and what manufacture and model is best for my economical range.

Thanks in advance.

Wasim

wasim_sono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:26 AM   #2

Have you narrowed your choices and are looking for help selecting just one, or are you looking for some general guidance?

One important factor in selecting a camera is how it feels to you. That is, can you find and operate the controls when you need to. What cameras have you tried? What cameras are available at your local retail outlets?

Another important factor is support? What cameras are your friends using? This is important because if you have a problem, they can be an immediate source of help.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:11 AM   #3

Wasim,

You should do some research on digital cameras so you at least know the basic principles. Then decide what your needs are - a small, slim ultracompact, a larger compact, an SLR-like compact, or a digital SLR. Finally, decide how much you're willing to pay. As a general rule, when it comes to digital cameras, you get what you pay for.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:05 PM   #4

Wasim,

I started out in digital camera's about 6 years ago. I did a lot of research in order to try and get the right one. But to be honest, the research didn't really help me very much.

I hadto just take the plunge and buy one. I tried out the features. I went through the different menu's. I took a few hundreds photographs. At the end of actually using it I began to understand the techniques and the limitations of my camera.

Almost everybody is going to have to do what I did. Most of the digital camera'sfrom the major manufacturer'sare pretty good camera's. And no matter what you buy it will give you that hands on experience that you need in order to become a good photographer.

If it was me I would look for the following things before making a purchase.

- It needs to have an optical zoom of at least 3x.

- Don't buy any camera that talks about interpolating the image. And don't buy anything that's manufactured in China or Hong Kong.

- It needs to be at least 4 megapixel

- Make sure that the battery charger will work with the electrical outlets and electrical current you have in Pakistan.

- Those are the basic things you need to know. Then try to find a local store where you can look at some of the camera's, pick them up, and get a feel for what they're like. Then,go aheadand buy one. That's the best way to learn.

---- TwiceWise
TwiceWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:33 PM   #5

And don't buy anything that's manufactured in China or Hong Kong.

My new Canon A720 is manufactured in China. I think a lot of cameras are made there now.

I think as long as Wasim stays with the well-known brands, Canon, Fuji, Sony, Casio, Panasonic, Olympus, Ricoh, Samsung, Nikon, Pentax, he should be OK.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:22 PM   #6

What I was talking about was something like this.

Don't buy this and think that you're going to get a quality camera

http://www.svp-tech.com/x508r/508r.htm
TwiceWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:47 PM   #7

Dear TCav, AndyfromVA and TwiceWise

Thanks a lot of u for ur kind suggestions. I read the instructions and concluded that I have to purchase Nikon L15 for myself. Hope you will find it also well.

In future I will get guidelines from u.

Again thanks a lot.

Wasim

wasim_sono is offline   Reply With Quote