Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2008, 1:37 PM   #1

Does anyone know of any DSLR that has a setting to shoot and save image in 300 dpi? Thanks for your help.
ps34109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:42 PM   #2

ps34109 wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know of any DSLR that has a setting to shoot and save image in 300 dpi? Thanks for your help.
http://www.rideau-info.com/genealogy/digital/dpi.html

............:-)..............musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:36 PM   #3

musket wrote:
Quote:
ps34109 wrote:
Quote:
http://www.rideau-info.com/genealogy/digital/dpi.html

............:-)..............musket.
in short, every dslr out there saves an image that is capable of 300dpi. DPI is NOT an attribute of the image file at all. The only attribute the image file holds is vertical and horizontal pixel counts. Photo viewing and editing software converts that info into dpi. For instance when I save a jpeg image on my DSLR and bring the image up in photoshop it shows a DPI of 72. BUT it's 72 at 36x 54 inches. In reality it's a 2592 x 3888 pixel image. you COULD print it at 36" by 54" at 72 or you could print it at 4x6 at 648 dpi if you so chose.

The important information is that pixel count. If I were to try and take my image file and print at 36" x 54" at 200 dpi there would have to be some interpolation done by software because the image file doesn't have the pixels to support that.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:31 PM   #4

Cameras don't do "dpi".

Printers and scanners do "dpi".
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:37 AM   #5

A photo editing program should be able to change dpi to any setting that you want. Oftentimes the size and density settings are on the same popup menu.

DPI really only matters in print work or in developing the photograph. Usually a print that is 600 dpiwill look better than one that is 200 dpi. The reason is that more information will be contained in the same amount of space and therefore the photo will look sharper.

In order to get a high print density you need an image with a high pixel count. An 8 megapixel image will contain more picture units (pixels) than a 2 megapixel image.In order to get 300 dpi on a 4x6 print you would need 2,160,000 pixels or about 2 1/4 megapixels.

Go here for more info: http://www.digmypics.com/resolutions.asp

-TwiceWise
TwiceWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:48 AM   #6

ps34109 wrote:
Quote:
Why would you want to do this when, up to almost letter size, the resolution of most DSLR's/digicams today is well over 300 Pixels Per Inch? By setting your resolutionto 300 PPI, you would actually be downsizing your images in the most popular print sizes. At the 4x6 print size, most cameras files are well over 400 Pixels Per Inch.

I thought the idea was to keep resolution as high as possible, but to each his/her own, I guess.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote