Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:47 PM   #1

All,

I am looking for a higher end P&S that I can charge and transfer data via USB - Anyone aware of any that have this capability?

What I mean by this is to be able to charge the battery in thecamera with the same cable ituses to transfer data - Manymobile phones such as blackberry have this

Thanks for any help

heliman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:53 AM   #2

This is a tough requirement for a high end digital cam.

Mobile phones and PDAs have small batteries, many times less than 1000mAH. They can, therefore, charge from a laptop USB port.

Digital cams tend to use AA cells at least 2000mAH and use 2-4 of these for a total of 4000-8000mAH.

The very low current output of the USB port of a computer would require days to charge your digicam batteries, if they were able to.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:57 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Since posting I actually found the Samsung NV11 with this capability. However, the reviews on the picture quality were not that great. I understand charging from the USB may take much longer than an AC plug, but most of the time I charge my stuff overnight anyway.
heliman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:42 PM   #4

heliman72 wrote:
Quote:
I understand charging from the USB may take much longer than an AC plug, but most of the time I charge my stuff overnight anyway.
Take note also that charging overnight or more through the USB means you keep your laptop or desktop powered for the same length of time.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote