Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:11 PM   #11

I was decided to buy a560 or a7xx but I heard about major battery problems. I expected at least 200 pictures on one set of Eneloops I already ordered but got stunned when I see people writing about 10-20 shot battery life and only few people take 200-300 pictures on one set of batteries.
I have a hp 435 camera and it always tells me that my batteries are depleted, I want a good battery life in my new camera. I don't want this to happen to me again.
szymon247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:21 PM   #12

I wouldn't put too much faith in whoever is saying they only get 10-20 shot battery life. Even if they used alkalines, the A560 is rated at a 140 shot battery life. If you use NiMH (which is a must with any digicam that uses AA batteries), the A560 is rated for 500 shots (with the LCD on). That is based on CIPA standards, and probably was tested with 2500 mAh batteries.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:32 PM   #13

yes but I've just been reading that there are problems with some Canon A series cameras which have something wrong with their battery lifes.

Also how much more energy does a720is use?

I'm stuck, should I pay 1/2 more to get a720is or get cheaper a560 like I planned.

And as I said when I look at pics taken by those Canons they take somehow "washed out" pics, especially in a sunny weather (I take 90% of my pics outdoors). Anyway I can't find any better camera in a similar price.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:17 PM   #14

szymon247 wrote:
Quote:
yes but I've just been reading that there are problems with some Canon A series cameras which have something wrong with their battery lifes.

Also how much more energy does a720is use?

I'm stuck, should I pay 1/2 more to get a720is or get cheaper a560 like I planned.

And as I said when I look at pics taken by those Canons they take somehow "washed out" pics, especially in a sunny weather (I take 90% of my pics outdoors). Anyway I can't find any better camera in a similar price.
I have the A720 and it gets very good battery life with my Eneloops. I was considering the A560 and A570 at one time but opted to pay a little more for the A720 and I think it was a good decision.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:06 AM   #15

ok I'm gettin the A720IS today. I'm paying some extra money so I hope I'll be happy with it. I hope there are proper settings so I'll be able to take nice outdoor shoots in a sunny weather. Sharper lens, better IQ, IS, bigger zoom and a bit more handy construction convinced me.

Last 2 questions:
1. I'm getting a new camera with full warranty but is there anything particular to check while buying? Anyway there's only one a720is in my closest shop, it arrived today.

2. I'm saving on the SD card, I think 2gb will be enough.
Does Kingston Elite pro work well with this camera? I heard it doesn't work with many.
Or will normal Kingston SD card be enough?
Or should I get a 4gb 2nd class (2mb/s write) SDHC card?
Is 2mb/s speed enough?

I found Transcend 4gb sdhc 6 class for the same price. Are those cards reliable? Or should I stick with slower Kingston?
edit: ok I quess I answered my own question after I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208090
I'll stick with Kingstons or Sandisks.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 7:57 PM   #16

I got myself the A720IS today and I'm happy with it.
I just made around 100 shots indoors with bad lightning and they are great. But the main test will be tomorrow in better weather.

Now I'm only stuck with memory card. I have to buy a larger one and I don't know if Kingston class 4 SDHC will work properly or is it better to buy 2 2gb sd cards instead.