Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2008, 1:57 AM   #1

Is there a prosumer camera with an f2.0 or faster lens?

My old Olympus C-5050 had an f1.8 lens. Canon's G5 had a f2.0 lens. Now it seems nothing is faster than f2.8. I like taking night or evening shots with reasonable shutter speeds, depth of field is not so important.

I'm getting by with a Canon SD800IS for now.

Any suggestions or comments? Thank you.
ljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:55 AM   #2

Unfortunately, it seems that camera manufacturers are relying on increasing the maximum ISO setting to facilitate lower light photography, instead of using faster lenses.

The Canon G5 had a 7.2-28.8mm (35mm flim equivalent of 35-140mm)f/2.0-3.0 lens and a maximum ISO setting of 400. The current G9 has a 7.4-44.4mm (35mm film equivalent of 35-210mm) f/2.8-4.8 lens but a maximum ISO setting of 1600! That means that the G9 can get a properly exposed photo at ISO 1600 & f/2.8, which would be the equivalent of the G5 using ISO 400 & f/1.4, something the G5 is incapable of.

Unfortunately, the higher ISO usually results in greaternoise, and that problem has yet to be adequately addressed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:51 AM   #3

TCav, thank you for the thoughtful answer.

Are there any low-light comparisons of non-SLR cameras? For example, I'd like to see what settings and image quality result when auto-mode shooting a scene lit for f1.8, 1/60 sec at ISO 100 (or something like that).

My old C5050 consistently delivered quality, noise-free images hand held with auto settings in low light. My f2.8 Canon SD800IS cannot touch the low-light performance of that old Olympus. I suppose the Canon G5 was comparable to the C5050, but I'm not sure. A consistent low-light test would be useful.

Camcorders include f1.8 or f1.7 lenses with 10x optical zoom. Digital still camera sensor areas are larger, but scaled proportionately, the lens could still be smaller than a DSLR zoon lens which must be an inch or more from the focal plane.

I miss my 35 mm Olympus OM-2 with Olympus f1.4 lens. With big enough glass, night looks like daylight. I hope a camera product planner is listening.
ljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:21 PM   #4

i am looking for the same camera! i take pics at my pond in the late afternoon with zoom lens. i need less noise. i gave my c-5050 to my sister but i would not be able to use it anyway as i need image stabilization. please let me know what you find out.

i am considering the nikon 8800 or canon s3-is (with hack program to add raw format) but do not know if the noise is less than my panasonic dmc-fz30.

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 4:35 PM   #5

I'm in the same boat. Every since I got rid of my second digital camera, a 2000 Sony DSC-something, I've lost the ability to take good low-light photos without using a flash. That camara had an F2.0 lens too. I knew nothing about this, except I kept buying new cameras (sometimes keeping them for only one vacation) that could not compete, and finally I asked why and uploaded two photos to a forum (maybe here) to get an explanation.

No luck, so in 2005 I bought a Fujifilm F10. It's high ISO was clean enough to do "almost" what I wanted. Still not as good as that 2000 model.

I just read about a Panasonic DMC-LX3 which has an F2.0 lens and can even record 720p 24fps video. I'm waiting on a review here. I've never used a Panasonic, but I'd be willing to try if it did what I needed.
allenhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 5:21 PM   #6

Yes, but the lens only zzoms from 5.1-12.8mm (35mm equivalent: 24-60mm), which limits its usefulness in other ways.

And it costs $500! For that you can get a dSLR!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 9:58 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Panasonic are pretty much marketing the LX3 as the pocket camera for people who normally use DSLRs.

It seems very nice.

Optical IS, nice fast lens, small zoom range, at least one stop better on noise compared to past Panasonics which means in practice that it will be 2-3 stops better than anything they have produced before.

Worth a look.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote