Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:14 AM   #1

All,

After many years of looking for a dSLR I am close to buying one. I am just tired of the slow performance of most point and shoots.

So my main requirement is a camera that takes a picture as soon as I press the shutter even if I press it a few times in succession just like my old Nikon N6006.

The only cameras I have tried in a store are the Nikon D40, D70 and Canon Rebel/XT.

I loved the performance of the Canon. Lack of spot metering bothered me as I used it extensively on my film camera.

I am now considering the Pentax K100D Super for a couple of reasons that are important to me:
1) Shake reduction in body
2) AA batteries

My concern with the camera would be shot-to-shot performance. I am not looking at this for sports photography but lets assume I am at a wedding and there are people walking down the aisle and I want to take a picture of each person as they pass. I cannot do this with my Canon A710 IS.

Is this an issue with the Pentax?
Is this an issue with the Canon, Sony, Nikon?

Is there any point and shoot that can do this?

TIA.
ullal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:59 AM   #2

What you're wanting to do won't be an issue with ANY DSLR. To be honest, bodies come and go....lenses, you'll keep. Make sure anybrand you pick offers the lenses you want. Find the lenses first, then buy a body to use them.

Shot in JPEG capture, a Panasonic FZ50 can do this as well. The new Fuji F100FS has as good a RAW buffer as the Canon 10D I used to use and looks very promising, but we know little about it at this point other than the (extremely good looking) specs. Panasonic has not yet made it's new product announcements, but I'm looking for that to happen in the next few days and am hopeful about what they may bring forward.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:12 PM   #3

While the K100 doesn't have the biggest buffer in the world, it would be fine for this, especially if you shoot jpg. For my uses, the amount of time it takes to write a file only becomes an issue when shooting raw and shooting sports. I've never had trouble at parties or general use. The Canon has a bigger buffer and would be better for sports, but any of the entry dSLRs would work for this.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 7:12 PM   #4

Additional questions:

Any idea why the Pentax weighs so much more than the competition?

Also, is the noise on the new K200D going to be more than the k100D because it is going to 10MP?

I was just reading the Pentax website document on the new CMOS sensor for the K20D and it seemed to indicate that a CMOS sensor is inherently better than the CCD. Kinda strange to tout the advantages of CMOS like they did when their lower end camera is CCD based. Any thoughts on this? Does this make the Canon a better camera?
ullal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 8:23 PM   #5

The K100 isn't that much heavier than the Canon xti (19.8 oz. compared to 18 oz.). The difference is probably due to the in-camera anti-shake. The Nikon D40 is the lightweight at 17 oz. It manages this because there's no lens focus motor in the camera body - to get auto focus you have to buy one of the Nikon lenses that has the motor in it (not all Nikon lenses have one). The Sony A100, which also has in-camera anti-shake, is comparable to the K100 at 19.24 oz.

I don't know if the noise is going to be worse with the K200, the sample pictures on the Pentax website look very good (but they are probably designed to minimize any noise). If they use the same sensor that's on the K10 (and I assume that's what they'll do) - then it will depend. I have one of the first K10 camerasand the noise difference between it and my K100isn't noticeable until above ISO 800. I've seen all kinds of pictures taken with later K10 cameras that have less noise than my camera has, so I think Pentaxmight have changed the way the camera processes high ISO pictures. If so, there won't be all that much difference. The one thing that the K100 does offer is ISO 3200 - that won't be an option with the K200. I don't use 3200 because the noise tends to degrade the detail too much for my taste, but it's there in case that's the only way I can get the shot.

I'm clueless as to whether CCD or CMOS is inherently better. There are lots of people that will say Canon is the best camera out there. However, there's more to a camera's picture than just the sensor (Nikon and Pentax have both used the same sensor in some of their cameras, yet the pictures aren't the same). Different people have different tastes in picture quality (some might want more detail while another might like more saturated colors). Best to judge a camera by what you see in sample photos - both those connected to formal reviews like Steve's Digicams, and those posted by regular folks here on the forum or on some of the photo hosting sites.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:20 PM   #6

CAN"T WAIT to get my hands on the Fujifilm F100FS. I got great RAW shots from my Fuijfilm S7000 and really love my Fujifilm s6000fd (manual zoom! - I see this camera as the daddy of the F100fs). Yes I'll miss the party scene setting but I look forward to playing with the new film modes and I'm really glad to see they brought back the hot shoe and the remote shutter release. No one does color like Fuji - that's why they own the film market. And they're just smart to focus on developing a top end bridge camera. (Superzooms rule - no dust!)
alrotundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:28 AM   #7

a few points regarding your questions:
  • CMOS vs. CCD - CMOS sensors have less noise at higher ISOs. As manufacturers push for high ISO performance, that's why we're seeing a shift to CMOS sensors.[/*]
  • Response of shutter press - really3 different topics - first is the delay time for first shot - any DSLR on the market will be good at this, second is buffer handling which others have discussed but third is frames per second - how much of a delay is there between shots in continuous shooting. Entry level dslrs are usually 2.5-3fps. Then some have 5fps, some 6fps and some 10fps. [/*]
  • You talk about taking photos of people in the church - your problem here isn't just shutter lag time or buffer handling it's whether or not you have enough light. First, your subjects are moving so anti-shake is irrelevant. You'll need a fast wide-angle lens OR flash. The problem with flash is the flash recycle times. They all pretty much stink for built in flashes. An external flash will give you better results.
[/*]
Bottom line - given the appropriate lenses and flash, any of the DSLRs on the market shouldl be able to meet your needs. If interested in Pentax I would strongly encourage you to wait a bit and see how the new cameras pan out - they seem like a nice upgrade over the existing models.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote