Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:39 PM   #11

@ac

Very nice shots! Great examples of what you can do with a P&S! And nice subject matter! LOL! (bit of a Mustang fan myself! LOL)

I will say that some of the car at the Detroit show were HORRIBLY lit! Some were just plain amazingly dark! Ford had the new Bullit stuff over in a dark corner... LOL And then some car were absolutely beautifully lit!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:22 PM   #12

Ads1 wrote:
Quote:
I am currently looking at a new camera, but don't have the budget for an SLR. Therefore I am looking at bridge camera's.

I have been looking at the Panasonic FZ18 and the Canon S5 iS.

Hi Ads,

It appears you're looking at Ultra Zoom type cameras and I think they are an excellent choice as a bridge from P&Sto dSLR's. The two camera's you mentioned are probably good choices although I'm not familiar with them.

Have you considered the maker that started the UZ niche - Olympus? IMO, they are the maker that continues to push the envelope and introduce the features that other makerscan only copy. Their current top of the line UZ is the SP-560UZ at around $350 USD. It has an amazing 18x optical zoom lens (another Oly inovation)!

I also believe that UZ cameras can make wonderful pics of any subject, anywhere! One can do a bit more with dSLR's, however UZ's are very competitive - not to mention much easier to use.

Regardless, the best way to choose a camera (IMO) is to read lots of reviews, especially those that compare the cameras you're interested in. No one knows what you want to do better than you. I just bought a new camera and the choice basically boiled down to the feature mixI wanted - the cameras were very equivalent concerning image quality and ease of use.

This forum has lots of reviews as do other forums and online mags. GOOGLE is a great way to find other reviews - even user reviews from Amazon and the like. Being an educated comsumer is the best way to select the best camera for you.

Have fun in your search.

Dennis

erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:07 PM   #13

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
@ac

Very nice shots! Great examples of what you can do with a P&S! And nice subject matter! LOL! (bit of a Mustang fan myself! LOL)

I will say that some of the car at the Detroit show were HORRIBLY lit! Some were just plain amazingly dark! Ford had the new Bullit stuff over in a dark corner... LOL And then some car were absolutely beautifully lit!
Thanks.

I've seen enough of other's car show photos to agree completely that lighting varies between excellent and available darkness depending on both the venue and the efforts of the exhibitors. The River Center here is nice in that, while it not huge it provides decent light almost everywhere in the exhibition area and even in the supplemental areas which are really just hallways used when the area is partition off for unrelated exhibits. Some of exhibitors also seem to arrange for supplemental light as well.

On the other hand I've been in other exhibition halls where one had to wait 10 minutes after entering from the outside to be sureone didn't walk into anything. In those cases I've wished for a Live View DSLR with a f1.4 lens and the ISO cranked to 3200 just to walk around, forget the pictures!

By the way if any are interested this year's show is FEB 8-10. The range and volume of exhibits will in no way compete with Detroit's show but it will be well lit.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 3:07 AM   #14

Many Thanks to both a.c smith and erutcip

The pictures you have taken are fantastic and are a lot better than I can currently get. I think the best thing for me to do is try and spend a bit of time with each camera in the shop before purchase, as they will not let me return the camera if I do not like it!

I did concider the oly, however from the reviews I have read the IQ is better on the canon and Panny.

Many thanks for everyones suggestions. I will let you know how I get on. Hoping to try a few out at the weekend, maybe that will make my mind up!

Cheers

Ads
Ads1 is offline   Reply With Quote