Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:12 AM   #1

I am lookinginto purchasingdigital SLR camera, that can be used for some intermediate level art pictures. Like landscapes, dusk, sunsets, portraits etc. I have been told by my friend that Nikkon D80 is the answer. Do you agree? Please help me to choose. I am not very rigit about my budget, but do not want to spend over 2k.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Are lenses usually tranferable within the same camera brand? It seems like cameras are changing faster,but lenses are the same.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Any input? Please post!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thank all of you
ekrzys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:11 PM   #2

Pretty much all the cameras will do nicely with this subject. I use Pentax, which seems to cater to the landscape, artsy crowd. But really, find one you like and go with it. I don't think you can go wrong.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:35 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Any of them will do just fine. Honestly.

Pick one that suits your price range and feels good to you when you hold it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:05 PM   #4

I agree that any of them will work well for what you want to do.

As far as the various cameras using old lenses - it depends.

Pentax can use any Pentax lens ever made (screw mount lenses require an adaptor). However, you need to make sure you know what you have - a manual lens doesn't suddenly become auto focus/auto exposure (I do mostly landscape and macros and use a Pentax, so that's what I know best. Yes, I'm using some lenses I bought new in 1980).

Sony uses the Minolta Maxxum mount - you can use any of these lenses.

Canon and Nikon have some backwards compatibility, but not as much as Pentax. I know a friend of mine tried some old Nikon lenses on a digital body and they didn't work at all - you'd need to check with the experts if you have a specific lens you are interested in.

I just realized that I'm clueless when it comes to Oly's backwards compatibility. I've always assumed that since their digital system is new, that you wouldn't be able to use old film lenses, but I don't know that for a fact. I hope that someone here can answer that question, because I can't.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:28 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I just realized that I'm clueless when it comes to Oly's backwards compatibility. I've always assumed that since their digital system is new, that you wouldn't be able to use old film lenses, but I don't know that for a fact. I hope that someone here can answer that question, because I can't.
Hi mtngal,

One can use OLY's legacy 35mm lenses with their new 4/3's dSLR's with the proper adapter. Lots of folks are using lenses that came with the OM-1's.In factOly just updated the firmware for the E-510 (which I have), and I believe all the others, where the camera's IS will nowwork with the legacy'sby inputting the focal length of the lens - zooms too, although the focal length must be setforthe particular focal length you are shooting.

Dennis
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:24 PM   #6

Thanks for the answer, Dennis - I'll keep that in mind (and I'm glad to hear that there's actually more lenses to choose from than just the new ones).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote