Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:42 AM   #1

Hello all!
I'd like to buy a new camera. Actually I've a small Canon IXUS 50, and I want to jump to a higher level. I still don't know what to do (Reflex or 8 MP camera).
I was reading Steve's reviews and have 3 favourites of the 8mp cameras:
* Canon S5IS.
* Sony DSC-H9.
* Lumix FZ18.
The best one for me of theese is the Lumix one. What do you think about it?

Another question I have is, should I buy one of thees or shoud I buy a Reflex one?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind Regards.

Diego
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
dgiordani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:54 AM   #2

dgiordani wrote:
Quote:
Another question I have is, should I buy one of these or shoud I buy a Reflex one?
That depends on you. How, exactly, are you dissatisfied with your current camera? What, exactly, do you want your next camera to do that your current camera can't?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:58 AM   #3

I aint dissatisfied, but i want to take better photos (My current camera only has 3x of optical zoom).

Tks!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:16 AM   #4

A Question, the reflex contains lens, that sais normally 18-55 mm.
Hoy do i know the capacity of zoom of it? For example i want to compare with the 18x of optical zoom of the Lumix FZ18.

Tks.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:25 AM   #5

dgiordani wrote:
Quote:
I aint dissatisfied, but i want to take better photos (My current camera only has 3x of optical zoom).

Tks!
Longer zoom doesn't equate to better pictures. Although it is convenient, lenses with long zoom ranges typically have worse image quality than those with shorter zooms. Lots of sacrifices have to be made, and tricks pulled off to make a lens with long zoom range.

A lenses "x" rating is really only valuable to marketers and advertisers. A zooms "x" range is simply the longest focal length divided by the shortest. So an 18-55 is a 3x lens (55mm/18mm= approx 3). Along those lines, then a 100mm-300mm is also a 3x lens. Obviously, the two lenses are significantly different, (one a moderate wide angle to short tele, the other a moderate tele to long tele). Pay attention to actual focal length to get an idea of a lenses capabilities. Also, lens quality is also typically related to price. Quality glass is expensive and for the most part there's no getting around that point. Not that consumer grade glass is bad or unusable (I have mostly consume glass myself).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote