Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:27 PM   #1

Hi everybody

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I've only just joined this forum so apologies if I go on a bit.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have a degree in photography (quite a long time ago), plus also did a 2 year course before that - in photography - so I know what I'm talking about regarding technical thingies, i.e. manual controls, printing,etc. I use photoshopconfidently, to post-process images, although I prefer a darkroom, and know how to print pretty well. Have always liked Nikon film cameras (make a nice clunky noise plus the lenses are lovely). A job I had ages ago bought me a minolta dimage 7i, (I still used my film cameras on the sly -it was expensive to process everything!) but i realise it's old hat now, and the battery system is pants.Would really appreciate advice about whether folk reckon the nikon d40 is a good buy, or should I be looking at something better? I prefer working with daylight, although flash is a hazard that has to be used in professional situations, need to work in RAW mostly, to keep it high quality, and really like sticking to manual/aperture priority. Lens quality is really important.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thank you nice people.

mijrothera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:39 PM   #2

The Nikon D40 is a fine camera, but if you have a good selection of Nikon lenses you may not be able to use them on the D40. First, older Nikon autofocus lenses rely on a motor in the camera body, and the Nikon D40 and D40x don't have that motor. Also, some older lenses will only AE (any AE) with the D200 or better.

You can look at Nikon's What lenses can I use on the Nikon D40 / D40X camera?and Can I use my lens from my old camera on a new digital SLR?to check, but if you can provide an inventory of your current lenses, someone here will probably be able to tell you which ones will work with which Nikon dSLRs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:54 PM   #3

Thanks very much for your reply, TCav - much appreciated, and hello from Scotland.

I wasn't planning on using my Nikon film camera's lenses for a new digital SLR. I hear that the D40 has quite a nice 18-55 lens, which would suit me fine. Not keen on autofocus, but Iknow from experience that it can be quite handy in certain situations.

Have wondered in the past - being a Cartier Bresson fan - whether Leica's digital cameras are worth a mention? Although they're very expensive. Does the price justify itself? Would appreciate your reply! Thanks from a newbie to this site!

Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:22 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Well there are two broad categories of Leica digital cameras: those that are just rebadged Panasonic cameras (most of them) and the M8. For the big category they are fine, but overpriced - just go for the Panasonic instead or any of the alternatives.

The M8 is a different beast entirely, but it's very pricey.

The best resources for the M8 that I have found are:

Erwin Puts at http://www.imx.nl/photo/

Sean Reid at http://www.reidreviews.com/reidreviews/

And the rangefinder forum at http://www.rangefinderforum.com

If you are thinking of a Nikon I would recommend Ken Rockwell's site; the man is half-mad and utterly eccentric, but very entertaining and although it's easy to disagree with much of what he says, he usually does have a point.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:34 PM   #5

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
if you are thinking of a Nikon I would recommend Ken Rockwell's site; the man is half-mad and utterly eccentric, but very entertaining and although it's easy to disagree with much of what he says, he usually does have a point.
And if you want more info and less eccentricity and sensationalism, check out www.bythom.com.

The D40 is a good camera...the lack of focus motor is troubling, although I can't help but think most of the folks buying are only sticking with basic kit style lenses anyway, not worrying about using primes or older lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:48 PM   #6

since you are a photographer you may want to check out the nikon d40x or even the nikon d80 - more $$$$- since you already own nikon lenses ask a reputable dealer if some of your older lenses, which are all probably still in good working condition, will work on your newer nikon dslr's.

also worth taking a look at is the canon rebel xti....

good luck

deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:58 AM   #7

Hi mijrothera,

It appears you are brand loyal to Nikon (nothing wrong with that!). If so, disregard this post.

I recently considered the Nikon D40x, Canon XTi and Olympus E-510. IMO, these three cameras were very equivalent based on the many reviews I read, both professional and user. The deciding factor for me was the feature and kitmix,and I went with the E-510two lens kit. YOMD

Some notes about the E-510. Adapters are available for most legacy lenses, Nikkor included. Oly has in-body image stabilazation, and it can be used with legacy lenses. Live view and dust reduction are also included.

I hope your transition fromSLR's to dSLR's is painless.

Dennis

erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 10:13 AM   #8

Just my opinion, but I would choose the D40 over the D40x, and think you might be happier with the D80, if your budget can stretch that far and you don't mind a heavier camera. The D40 is a 6 mp camera, which is fine for most pictures (more pixels isn't necessarily better) and the sensor naturally has less noise than the 10 mp sensor used in the D40x. It seems like there isn't much difference between features on the two D40 cameras. I happen to use both the Pentax K10 and K100, which are supposed to use the same sensors as the D40 and D40x, and notice the extra noise with the 10 mp sensor when using ISO above 800. Below that they are about the same.

The D80 might be more the type of camera you would want - it has a number of features that aren't included in the D40, a more advanced camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:15 PM   #9

Thanks very much to everyone for their very useful advice.

I'm going to do some more research based on your tips!

Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:10 PM   #10

Well, I bit the bullet, folks, and today, after much dithering, I spent my partner's money (cheers, Shauny) on the D80! So thank you all for your greatly appreciated advice. I will now stop annoying Shaun with my indecision, start reading the manual and enjoy my new camera.

If anyone wishes to advise me further on how to be brilliant with the D80, I would be most grateful!

Mij.