Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:15 PM   #1

Hey there everyone. I'm looking for some help/suggestions on which camera to buy that is good to use at concerts. I'm looking for a point and shoot camera, not a dslr as those aren't allowed at most shows. I used to have a Nikon s1 which was a pretty bad camera overall and produced photos like the first image below. I then tried out a friend's Canon SD750 which was able to capture decent photos in dark lighting, the only problem is that most of them were kind of blurry. I read that the SD850 has image stabalization, will this help a great deal with capturing better photos or is there something out there that might be better? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Taken with Nikon S1

Taken with Canon SD750

the not so great photos with the sd750

cjmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2008, 5:17 PM   #2

This is not very helpful to you, but its unlikely that a non DSLR will give you a better picture than the middle example with the Canon SD750. Even a DSLR will need a "fast" lens, i.e., one that lets in a lot of light. A P&S will give blurred pictures because there is not enough light, so the camera picks a long shutter speed. Whilst image stabilisation will help overcome the movement of a hand held camera, it won't "freeze" the action. The flash on a P&S only has a short range so won't throw much light on the subject. Sorry for the negative answer, but low light shots of moving subjects are difficult.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:45 PM   #3

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
This is not very helpful to you, but its unlikely that a non DSLR will give you a better picture than the middle example with the Canon SD750. Even a DSLR will need a "fast" lens, i.e., one that lets in a lot of light. A P&S will give blurred pictures because there is not enough light, so the camera picks a long shutter speed. Whilst image stabilisation will help overcome the movement of a hand held camera, it won't "freeze" the action. The flash on a P&S only has a short range so won't throw much light on the subject. Sorry for the negative answer, but low light shots of moving subjects are difficult.
Thanks for the reply and information. I will most likely be going for the sd750 then as it's probably the best choice right now.
cjmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:01 PM   #4

I don't disagree with your choice. There was one possible exception to the rule about compact digicams not being suitable for concerts - that was the Fuji F31d (F30, also). Unfortunately, you can get it now onlyby paying exoribitant prices. It didn't have image stabilization, but it had very sharp images at ISO 800 and decent images at ISO 1600. You can probably still get an F20 (check ebay and amazon),which has the same sensor (I heard) and the same resolution (6 megapixels), but almost no manual settings.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:23 PM   #5

You might also consider one of the Sony DSCH cameras. i have the H2 and i have gotten some great concert pics with it. i usually use iso 200 or 400 and have had pretty good luck. You can check out some pics i took awhile ago of Miranda Lambert with my DSCH2 here....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ydaze/Miranda/

Clazy Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:33 PM   #6

Maybe you should wait for the 5X wide zoom from the Fuji Finepix F100fd?
fredbillie is offline   Reply With Quote