Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2008, 4:26 AM   #1

About 6 mths ago i "upgraded" from a Fuji S5500 to a Fuji S5700 thinking that 7.1 MP was a significant upgrade. Low and behold i had the camera for a month and the new S5800 came out but nevermind .. thats life. My problem is that i now realise that without RAW and the quality of lanscape pics (although they arent too bad) the S5700 is not quite what i want. I have been looking at the Fuji S9600 but i dont want to make another mistake so am interested in your opinion of the S9600 compared to the S5700. I know that someone is going to say go DSLR but apart from the fact that i cant quite manage the price of a decent DSLR i also do a lot of hiking with the camera and outback desert work i find that the 10X zoom is really handyAND dust is not a big problem for the Fuji AND weight is another plus for the Fuji. I need the camera to take pics with quality enuf for photojournal type pics for magazine articles that i write occasionally too. I guess what i am saying is that i thought the S5700 would take me to that next level from the S5500 but it really hasnt and i am wondering if the S9600 will. Any advice will be appreciated.
Arabscamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2008, 6:39 AM   #2

Specifically, what types of photos do you want to take? Also, if you can post samples of the photos you've taken, and why you're dissatisfied with them, that would help.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:39 AM   #3

Fair question but hard to answer lol . I'm not greatly disappointed with the pics from the S5700. Its just that I feel they should be a bit sharper and of course the RAW feature is one that is missing on it as well. Here are a couple of samples where that little bit of extra crispness to the photo would be nice. The type of photos I will be taking range from portraits to outback and seaside landscapes to sports photos. So it is really hard to narrow it down. I guess i am just trying to find out if there is a noticable difference between a S5700 photo and a S9600 photo. As far as posting pics its a bit hard to see a lack of crispness when u have to size them down to 250k. As i said before tho, i'm not DREADFULLY disappointed in the S5700 .. its just that i dont feel its much of a step up from the S5500 and according to specs, the S9600 should be. Does that make sense?? I will post a cpl of small pics anyway so u maybe able to get an idea of the diversity i am talking about.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:52 AM   #4

Hopefully these will get thru
Attached Images

Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:54 AM   #5

1 more
Attached Images