Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:09 AM   #1

Advice on deciding What camera to buy[/b]

Canon SX100 vs Sony H3 or Canon S5 SI

I was all set to buy one of these compact ultra compact big zoom cameras but the more I looked and learned, the more undecided I became and now having a difficult time deciding.

I'm hesitant due to what I'm hearing about the quality of the pictures from these compacts especially when printing 8 x10's. I've been using a Sony MVC CD400 with very good results and have been very impressed with the quality of pictures under all conditions (great flash).

Because of the suspect quality of the compact cameras I've added to my short list the Canon S5 SI. I started looking at sample pictures of all and I don't know If I'm seeing things but the S5 SI pictures look much clearer and have better color than both the compacts.

When doing camera comparisons I don't see anything that stands out to explain the difference in overall quality so I don't know what to look for to get that result.

The Canon S5 SI seems to take better quality pics and if so I have to determine if its worth giving up the advantageous pocket-ability.

When I look at what I want in a camera it seems to fall into the "all the above" category.
- As I mentioned the Sony CD400 took great shots so I'mlookingmostlyat Canon, Sony & should include Nikon.

- I want to stay under 350.00 and love the size of the ultra compact
cameras.
- Ultra zoom lens of at least 8x zoom and to get the best quality picture I
can have so I'm thinking I need 8 megs or more.
- I like to print 8x10's of my better pics.
- I use it for everything from vacation to work to ebay and every day.
-I take a lot of indoor shots that include low light.
- I used to try to take sport shots and is something I enjoy so that too is
important to me.
- Image stabilization is a priority due to the 10x zoom.
- The swivel LCD option would be very useful
- The 28 mm wide angle is a great feature but if I have to give
something up – that could one.

gijmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:49 PM   #2

The S5 would be my choice. All use a 1/2.5 sensor so high ISO/noise performance is going to be essentially the same. 8MP is not a requirement for 8x10 prints but since all have that there's no difference there. Why the S5?

1) Eye-level viewfinder. It much easier to hold the camera steady when using an EVF, IS or no.

2)Longer telephoto reach although I'll grant the differences between 380 and 436 equiv. is relatively small. I use 420 on my Kodak Z612 enough that I'm not satisfied with less than 400+.

3) The S5 lens is about 2/3 stop faster at full telephoto which translates to a higher shutter speed or a lower ISO in low light.

4) The S5s intelligent hot shoe allows the addition of an integrated external flash should more power or bounce be required.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3

You might want to head over to this tread on the S5 IS, and read the author's post on how to deal with the noise at higher ISOs with the smaller CCD sensors, it's about half way down the first page. He really likes his S5 IS.

Also, here's a thread on a recommended camera bag for the S5 IS.
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:31 AM   #4

Hey, Thanks for the replies. The S5 SI looks like a great camera, though I'm disappointed with the size because I was all set on the compact with the big zoom. The Sony H3 looks like the best clarity among them – I'm leaning towards it.

I'll sacrifice the hot shoe and the faster shuterfor thesize.

The ability of theSX100 and Sony H3 (or better yet the H10) to drop into your pocket or in a case on your belt is huge to me.

Any thoughts?
gijmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:28 AM   #5

gijmcd wrote:
Quote:
........Canon SX100 vs Sony H3 or Canon S5 SI....the more I looked and learned, the more undecided I became and now having a difficult time deciding.
You should get your hands on them & try them before deciding, because 'feel' is all-important.

Alongside the Canon S5is you could consider the Kodak Z712 (if you can find it) or Z812. Some think they're easier to drive than the Canon, and they're probably a bit smaller & lighter. I'm delighted with the quality from mine. 10x8 is no problem, and much bigger is fine.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:09 AM   #6

You might also consider the Panasonic TZ3. It is an ultra-zoom and very compact. It does not have much in the way of manual controls, but is quite popular. It will soon be replaced by the new TZ5, at a higher price. However, this means the TZ3 price will come down some more.

http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/7/(blog on the TZ3)

If you don't intend on printing higher than 8x10", then a 7 MP would do. I have the Canon A620 (7.1 MP/ 4x zoom), and 8x10" prints are excellent.
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote