Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:58 AM   #31

TCav wrote:
Quote:
the problem with the D40 is that, unlike the other Nikon dSLRs, the D40 and D40X don't have an internal autofocus motor. That means only about 1/3 of Nikon's lenses will autofocus on it. Unfortunately, most of Nikon's quality glass is not in that third.
That's not exactly true. Yes, many of the older lenses won't AF, but for the ones that can, most are actually very high end. A list of some compatible lenses from Nikon and Sigma:
AF-S DX 12-24mm 4.0G ED-IF

AF-S 17-35mm 2.8D ED-IF

AF-S DX 17-55mm 2.8G ED-IF

AF-S DX 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G

AF-S DX 18-70mm 3.5-4.5G ED-IF

AF-S DX 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 ED-IF

AF-S VR DX 18-200mm 3.5-5.6G IF-ED

AF-S VR 24-120mm 3.5-5.6G ED-IF

AF-S DX 55-200mm 4-5.6G ED

AF-S VR 70-200mm 2.8G ED-IF

AF-S VR 70-300mm 4.5-5.6G

AF-S VR 105mm 2.8G

AF-S VR 200mm 2.0G ED-IF

AF-S VR 200-400mm 4.0G ED-IF

AF-S 300mm 4.0D ED-IF

AF-S VR 300mm 2.8 ED-IF

AF-S II 400mm 2.8D ED-IF

AF-S II 500mm 4.0D ED-IF

AF-S II 600mm 4.0D ED-IF

Sigma:

10-20mm 4-5.6 EX DC HSM

12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM

14mm 2.8 EX

17-35mm 2.8-4.0 EX DG

30mm 1.4 DC

50-500mm 4.0-6.3 EX DG

50-150mm 2.8 EX DC HSM

80-200mm 2.8 EX DG Makro

100-300mm 4.0 EX DG

120-300mm 2.8 EX DG

150mm 2.8 EX DG MAKRO

180mm 3.5 EX DG MAKRO

300mm 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

300-800mm 5.6 EX DG APO

500mm 4.5 EX DG HSM APO

800mm 5.6 EX D

Of these 35 lenses, I would consider at least 23 of them to be pro-level, high end glass. If anything, there's more pro, expensive glass available for the D40, D40x, D60 than consumer level. If you want quality glass (and can afford it), there are more than enough choices.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:47 AM   #32

Angel,

First, I agree with rjseeney that there are plenty of zoom lenses available for the D40. No issue there.

But there are 2 reasons why I think it's a poor fit for your situation:

1. It has a stripped down AF system compared to it's Nikon predecessors and current siblings.

2. None of the current Nikon short prime lenses focus on it. while not useful for baseball, as I mentioned earlier short primes are very popular choices for family situations - better low light ability than zooms and you get really nice shallow-dof portrait style shots with them. I'm betting over time Nikon will start putting af-s in it's primes but as of now that isn't the case.

This was Nikon's way of creating a low-cost entry level DSLR. They had to save money somewhere - so AF was the area they decided to save it on. Most likely because it's an area most novice DSLR buyers wouldn't readily miss.

The d40/d40x make sense for a lot of people but I dont think it's a good choice for you given the two points above.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:26 AM   #33

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
the problem with the D40 is that, unlike the other Nikon dSLRs, the D40 and D40X don't have an internal autofocus motor. That means only about 1/3 of Nikon's lenses will autofocus on it. Unfortunately, most of Nikon's quality glass is not in that third.
That's not exactly true. Yes, many of the older lenses won't AF, but for the ones that can, most are actually very high end.

If anything, there's more pro, expensive glass available for the D40, D40x, D60 than consumer level. If you want quality glass (and can afford it), there are more than enough choices.
I agree that the selection of AF-S lenses is broad enough to cover most needs. My point is that the selection of lenses for Nikon dSLRs other than the D40 and D40X, is larger.

And as to quality, I took the list you provided of AF-S lenses (those that will autofocus on the D40/D40X), and the list of AF lenses (some of those that won't) from Nikon's website, and took a look at what PhotoDo members had to say.

For those of you who may not be familiar with it, PhotoDo.com is a website where members compare the lenses they own (or have owned)against other lenses they own (or have owned) in different categories on a scale of 1 to 5.

From your list of AF-S lenses, all but 3 had PhotoDo scores, while only one of the AF lenses didn't.

Any time you take a random subset of anything, including Nikon lenses, there will be some with high scores and some with low scores. But the mean and standard deviation of the scores for the 16 AF-S lenses was 4.445 and 0.563 respectively, but for the 19 AF lenses, the mean and standard deviation were 4.584 and 0.327. This indicates that Nikon owners rate their AF lenses higher than their AF-S lenses.

Admittedly, these are averages of averages, and when you do that, you can get into trouble, but I think this demonstrates that, in general, Nikon owners like their AF lenses better than their AF-S lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:54 AM   #34

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Angel,

First, I agree with rjseeney that there are plenty of zoom lenses available for the D40. No issue there.

But there are 2 reasons why I think it's a poor fit for your situation:

1. It has a stripped down AF system compared to it's Nikon predecessors and current siblings.

2. None of the current Nikon short prime lenses focus on it. while not useful for baseball, as I mentioned earlier short primes are very popular choices for family situations - better low light ability than zooms and you get really nice shallow-dof portrait style shots with them. I'm betting over time Nikon will start putting af-s in it's primes but as of now that isn't the case.

This was Nikon's way of creating a low-cost entry level DSLR. They had to save money somewhere - so AF was the area they decided to save it on. Most likely because it's an area most novice DSLR buyers wouldn't readily miss.

The d40/d40x make sense for a lot of people but I dont think it's a good choice for you given the two points above.
I would definitely agree with that assessment, and didn't mean to imply the D40/D40x was the best choice. I don't think it is. My only point was to emphasize the misconception that the lack of an AF motor cripples the D40/D40x. There are plenty of great lenses (and extremely expensive) that will work with that body. The menu based settings, and only 3 AF points make the camera less usable for me.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:22 AM   #35

What is the differance b/w gray market cannon lenses and regular lenses besides the $50.00. Also does cannon make a 18-55 is usm for walk around?
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:31 AM   #36

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
What is the differance b/w gray market cannon lenses and regular lenses besides the $50.00. Also does cannon make a 18-55 is usm for walk around?
Grey market lenses will not be covered under warranty.

And yes, Canon Makes an EF-S 18-55 IS USM lens. It costs about $180.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:34 AM   #37
Administrator

Gray Market (often listed as "Import") gear is not intended for sale in the U.S. Some stores carrying gray market gear offer a "store warranty". In other words, if it breaks, the store would worry about fixing it (versus you sending it to the manufacturer).

Make sure the vendor is reputable if you go that route (the warranty may not be worth the paper it's written on, with a lot of hassle trying to get anything fixed).

Also, depending on the manufacturer, they may refuse to service gray market gear, even if you are willing to pay for the service. Nikon is one example of that. Canon is a bit more lenient with it's service policy from most reports.

Yes, Canon recently released a very high quality version of their 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM lens with IS (Image Stabilization). Tests I've seen so far have been very postitive.

Edit: JohnG beat me to it. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:42 AM   #38
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
When I read Angel L.'s first post, I detect a sense of urgency ("Highschool baseball season starts in 1 week and I have no camera.") and a specific set of requirements ("I have a $1200 budget for body and 2 lenses.", "usable 1600 iso", "stabalization", "3 fps burst", "Fast AFS").

Certainly, all of the OP's objectives may be better served by products that are not currently available, but he needs something now....
I am working on a temporary solution so that the OP doesn't need to rush this decision because of a broken camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:00 AM   #39

No rush, just educating myself.
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 2:25 PM   #40

JimC wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
When I read Angel L.'s first post, I detect a sense of urgency ("Highschool baseball season starts in 1 week and I have no camera.") and a specific set of requirements ("I have a $1200 budget for body and 2 lenses.", "usable 1600 iso", "stabalization", "3 fps burst", "Fast AFS").

Certainly, all of the OP's objectives may be better served by products that are not currently available, but he needs something now....
I am working on a temporary solution so that the OP doesn't need to rush this decision because of a broken camera.

Does this have anything to do with your apparent geographic proximity?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote