Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:09 PM   #41

I am going to borrow a loaner until the dslr's come out. That way I wont be rushed into overspending.
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:57 AM   #42
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
...Ditto for noise levels (much better than the A100 at higher ISO speeds).
In reference to the A200 improvements in higher ISO speed noise levels, here are samples from Dave Etchells at imaging-resource.com

Click on the image that loads to see the full size 10 Megapixel Original.

Sony DSLR-A200, ISO 1600, 1/250 second, 70mm, f/8:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...00hSLI1600.HTM

The A100 did not have an available ISO 3200. But, it's there if you need to use it with the new A200.

Sony DSLR-A200, ISO 3200, 1/500 second, 70mm, f/8:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...00hSLI3200.HTM

Looking at a full size 10MP original size image on a typical monitor is looking at a poster size print from up close. ;-) So, keep your desired viewing and print sizes in mind when judging image quality.

We should start seeing a lot of real world photos from this model soon, too (since it's already shipping in some regions outside of the U.S.)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:44 PM   #43

I reviewed the images from the A200, looks very promising. I also read it has the same AFS the A700 has, does that mean I will not need HSM 70-300mm?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:47 AM   #44
Administrator

I probably wouldn't spend that much for the new Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SSM (Supersonic Motor, which is Minolta and Sony's version of HSM/USM)

I have no doubt that it's going to be an outstanding lens. But, I'd buy a used Minolta 100-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro AF lens if it were my money and save a few hundred bucks. By most accounts the APO versions of the Minolta 100-300mm focus faster compared to the existing Sony 75-300mm, with less CA and sharper images on the long end. The new Sony 70-300mm SSM G lens will probably provide better image quality, and image samples I've seen from it look good. But, at $799, I'll pass.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Sonystyle.com shows an expected delivery of February 29 if you preordered now, and they're usually conservative with their estimates (you're more likely to get it sooner).
The Sony DSLR-A200 is now in stock (as I saw you mention in another thread earlier). I figured they'd have them ready to ship sooner. Order today, ships tomorrow.

Sony A100/A200 DSLR listings at sonystyle.com

Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:29 AM   #45

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The new Sony 70-300mm SSM G lens will probably provide better image quality, and image samples I've seen from it look good. But, at $799, I'll pass.
Jim - any idea why Sony is doing things this way? Now they're carrying the same issue with the 70-200 pro grade lenses down to consumer based lenses. Sure, a body may be $100 cheaper than canon or nikon but the lenses are more each. a 70-300 5.6 lens is always going to be a consumer lens because pros are going to need either more reach or wider aperture.

Especially given the argument: "with canon or nikon you have to pay for IS in every lens" - but the lenses STILL cost less. For pro glass you'll always get people willing to pay top dollar for that incremental ROI. But for consumer glass I just don't get it. It just seems like an odd product strategy from sony
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:32 AM   #46
Administrator

From my perspective, most of what Sony seems to be doing is somewhere in between consumer and pro grade (most camera bodies and lenses).

That seems to be their strategy for now.

Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:35 AM   #47

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I have been reviewing many DSLR'S in the months, now my F717 sensor has gone bad and sony will replace in a couple of months. Highschool baseball season starts in 1 week and I have no camera. I purchased an XTI body on impulse and returned it prior to my f717 breaking.

There are so many to choose from. I have a $1200 budget for body and 2 lenses. (f2.8 walk around and a 300 mm sports for day shooting)

I like the OLy. E515 it has all of the new features and I really like the 14-54 f2.8 for under $400, but the high iso performance is poor.

Nikon and CAnnon similar lensesare to expensive.

Pentax K10d is also very appealing, but f2.8 walk around is $700 and BIG.

SIgma and Tamron lense quality is suspect?

Requirements are

1. usable 1600 iso

2. stabalization

3. 3 fps burst

4 Fast AFS
Disclaimer: I don't know anything.

However from what I've been investigating and finding in other forums, especially a sony slr forum, is that you can get older 1985-newer Minolta lenses that work great, and are actually preferred over the sony lenses, for cheap on ebay and other places. I've seen some of the ones mentioned for $80 before.
Duck
ToiletDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:57 AM   #48

I have also been looking at used minolta lenses and they are available.
My dilema is the afs for sports on those lenses. JohnG firmly agrees that you need really fast focosing lenses to consistanly produce quality fast action sports shots. I tend to agree, so the education process continues.