Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:48 AM   #1

Hello,

I have been reviewing many DSLR'S in the months, now my F717 sensor has gone bad and sony will replace in a couple of months. Highschool baseball season starts in 1 week and I have no camera. I purchased an XTI body on impulse and returned it prior to my f717 breaking.

There are so many to choose from. I have a $1200 budget for body and 2 lenses. (f2.8 walk around and a 300 mm sports for day shooting)

I like the OLy. E515 it has all of the new features and I really like the 14-54 f2.8 for under $400, but the high iso performance is poor.

Nikon and CAnnon similar lensesare to expensive.

Pentax K10d is also very appealing, but f2.8 walk around is $700 and BIG.

SIgma and Tamron lense quality is suspect?

Requirements are

1. usable 1600 iso

2. stabalization

3. 3 fps burst

4 Fast AFS
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:31 AM   #2

Tough one.

Fast standard zooms (f2.8 walk around) start at about $330 with Sigma's 28-70mm f/2.8. That leaves $870 in your budget.

Reasonably good telephoto zooms (~75-300)start at about $180. That leaves $690 in your budget.

For $690, you won't find a Sony, but Pentax has some good choices. Canon and Nikon have some too, but they don't have IS.

Pentax has the 6MP K100D Super, and if you can squeeze a little more out of your budget, the new 10MP K200D (but I don't think anyone has it in stock yet.)

If you'll accept a kit lensinstead of an f2.8 walk around, that changes things.

Edit: ... for arithmetic.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply,

I would like a f2.8 14- 70 mm range for most of the time especially indoors where the bulk of the pictures will be taken of the children and family. The 300mm for sports. I have not researched Sony, and do not know if they have what I am looking for.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Administrator

I dunno about that (no Sony within this budget).

Sony has a new DSLR-A200 two lens kit for $899 right now that should be shipping at any time (expected delivery date of February 29th):

Sony DSLR-A200 with 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 and 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Autofocus lenses for $899.99

This model is already shipping in some regions, and I'm hearing good things about it's improved Autofocus speed over the A100 from users that have received one. Ditto for noise levels (much better than the A100 at higher ISO speeds).

That would leave $300 for another walk around lens within the stated budget, for times when you wanted f/2.8, while giving you a smaller and lighter 18-70mm lens when you don't need something that bright.

If you shop around, you can find good deals on some of the Sigma f/2.8 zooms. For example, sigma4less has the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG AF lens for $279 right now (and I've seen it selling for even less elsewhere). Note that not all of their lenses included the extended Sigma 4 year warranty. But, you still get the standard 1 year warranty from them.

If you went used on lenses, you could probably save even more.

You would not necessarily have to buy the f/2.8 walk around immediately either. You could use the kit lens for a while until you get a better feel for the tradeoffs you may want to live with in available zoom choices (size, weight, focal range, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:56 AM   #5

14mm is extraordinarily wide for anything except Olympus dSLRs because of their smaller image sensor.

18mm is typical for dSLRs with APS-C size image sensors, with the ocassional 17mm, and rarely 16mm.

The choices that are within your budget are:
  • Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG Aspherical (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma & Sony) $399.00[/*]
  • Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma, Sony) $419.00[/*]
  • Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sigma & Sony) $429.00[/*]
  • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) (Canon, Nikon, Pentax & Sony) $439.95
[/*]
I have the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and am quite pleased with it. See First shots with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 on my KM5D

Any of these will still narrow your choice of camera bodies to the Pentax K100D Super.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Administrator

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

I would like a f2.8 14- 70 mm range for most of the time especially indoors where the bulk of the pictures will be taken of the children and family.
I'd make sure to consider angle of view differences. For example, a 14mm lens on an Olympus DSLR will give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera. You have to multiply the focal length of the lens by 2x to see how they compare using an Olympus DSLR system.

Yet, due to the larger APS-C sensors found in competing DSLR models, you only need to multiply by 1.5x (Sony, Nikon, Pentax), or 1.6x (Canon) to see how angle of view compares.

So, an 18mm lens on an entry level Sony, Nikon or Pentax DSLR will give you the same angle of view you'd get using a 14mm lens on an Olympus DSLR body, which transates the same angle of view you'd get using a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera body.

That's one reason that most of the kit lenses for Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Sony models start out at around 18mm. Yet, kit lenses for Olympus models tend to start out at around 14mm. All are designed to give you roughly the same starting point you'd get with a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera.

You may also want to consider investing the money in an external flash instead of a different lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:01 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I dunno about that (no Sony within this budget).

Sony has a new DSLR-A200 two lens kit for $899 right now that should be shipping at any time (expected delivery date of February 29th):
I saw that, and was going to suggest it myself, but ...

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
... Highschool baseball season starts in 1 week and I have no camera. ...
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:14 PM   #8

I would love the Pentax K100d super, but the burst performance is awfull.

Is the high iso performance on Olympus really that bad? I saw some high iso pics of Jims sony 700 and they were amazing!

Also, is the nikkor 18-70 vr available. This would eliminate everyone else and I would get the sigma 17-70 f2.8 later.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:29 PM   #9

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
I would love the Pentax K100d super, but the burst performance is awfull.
According to http://www.pentaxslr.com/pdf/K100D%2...ifications.pdf, the K100D Super can do 2.8 fps. Awful?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:39 PM   #10

Very limited capture (5 jpeg and 3 raw) What a shame!

I am leaning toward a K10D.