Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:57 AM   #1

I take lots of family photos (indoor and outdoor) as well as outside scenery pics. I love my C-5050, but it is time to upgrade. I am considering the Olympus SP-560, Cannon s5-IS and Panasonic FZ-18 - although none of these have a tilting LCD. Any suggestions regarding these or other cameras are appreciated.
kciesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:42 PM   #2

kciesla wrote:
Quote:
I take lots of family photos (indoor and outdoor) as well as outside scenery pics. I love my C-5050, but it is time to upgrade. I am considering the Olympus SP-560, Cannon s5-IS and Panasonic FZ-18 - although none of these have a tilting LCD. Any suggestions regarding these or other cameras are appreciated.
I don't know off-hand about the other two but the S5 certainly does have a fully articulated LCD screen, not that it's a big deal to me as I use the eye-level finder virtually all the time anyway for all the reasons that have been stated in these forums.

My choice would be S5 for more consistant image quality and the ability to use an external flash.Using a hot shoe mountedexternal flash in bounce mode would be advantagous for indoor family pictures.

Outdoor scenery tilts the other way for many peoplewho want a wide-angle lens for scenics. If you're in that camp then both the 560 and FZ18 have a shorter focal length at the wide end than the S5. I, on the other hand do my scenery shots using short telephoto to extreme telephoto so the wide end of the 560/FZ18 doesn't provide enough incentive for me to tilt me into their corner.

All are good cameras, you might be well advised to pick the one that feels best in your hands and has the best control layout and menus for your way of operation.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:06 PM   #3

Both the Sony DSC-H9 and the Fuji S9100 have tilting LCDs, and are both good cameras. The Sony has 8.1 MP and a 15x Carl Zeiss lens. The Fuji is a 9MP with a 10.7x lens.

(No matter what your decision, don't discard your C5050; it is a well built camera with a well deserved good reputation, even though it is getting pretty old in digital years.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:51 PM   #4

Don't overlook the Canon A650 IS.
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote