Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2008, 2:34 PM   #1

I've been using the 350D for a little over a year now and feel like I'm hitting its limits in both autofocus capability and ISO. I shoot mostly indoor sports like volleyball and basketball and I'm trying make a bit of a business out of it. I'm considering the 40D as the next logical step up and I've heard nothing but good things about it. So, anyone have any thoughts on if that is the right next step or if there might be another that I'm missing? Also, would you buy from eBay? If so, what should I look for to make sure I don't getripped off?

thanks,

Jason
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2008, 9:34 PM   #2

Jason,

The 40d is the next logical step up. Beyond that you'd have to find either a used mkIIN or step up to a 1dmkIII.

Just as important though is the lens in use. I see from a recent post you have the 85mm 1.8

I also see from that post that you're shooting from too far away (20 feet is the max range for sharp focus and details).

Withthe 40d you'll see a dramatic improvement over the 350 (although even the 400 has a better focus system than the 350 - but I would advise leaping over the 400d and go strait to the 40).

But you also need to change some of the shots you're trying for or buy a longer prime (135mm) for some of the shots you're trying to take. 135 is the right length for shots from behind the court to the net.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 9:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply John. I definitely realize the limits of the 85 - especially for shooting volleyball. Anything inside the focus range is too close to really get a whole body in the frame. Not to mention the really limitedarea of the court that I can cover within that range. I'm planning to rent a 135mm for the next volleyball tournament to try it out.. I guess I'm a bit hesitant to go with another prime as opposed to something like the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for about the same price. What would you say is the effective range for the 135mm?

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:53 AM   #4

jschoenr wrote:
Quote:
I guess I'm a bit hesitant to go with another prime as opposed to something like the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for about the same price. What would you say is the effective range for the 135mm?

I don't own the 135 so I can't speak to it's effective range. I do know however that when I used a zoom 135mm was pretty much the exact range needed to shoot the net from the back of the court.

Here's the thing with the sigma 70-200 2.8:

first, at 2.8 you'll have to shoot at ISO 3200. Are you OK with that?

Second, I used a sigma 70-200 2.8 for several years. Nice, sharp lens. In good light it focuses very well. And it does pretty good in low light but it isn't quick. Definitely slower to focus than the 85mm 1.8 and slower to focus than the Canon 70-200 2.8. So I would be hesitant to recommend it as a good volleyball or basketball lens if you dont already own it (especially with the fact you'll be shooting at ISO 3200).

So, no matter the choice you've got a compromise to make. Unfortunately there are no easy answers.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:19 AM   #5

umm, hi to all. i am a newbie here, and thus this question is probably quite a stupid one, but ifan aperture as large asf2.8 requires him to shoot at iso3200, and he needs/wants to increase depth of field to capture more action, isn't he going to be in trouble? shutter speed will have to slow, and may notstop the action? what makes it necessary to run with iso3200 at F2.8? is there any alternative?

i don't have a digital slr yet (still learning the ropes with my Eos 50E film slr), but i've found ISO800 film allows me to stop the action of most ball sports ( australian rules football) and motorcycle racing without too much fuss (admittedly, i'm shooting in daylight generally) with a maximum aperture of 5.6, so 3200 is almost inconceivable to me! what piece of the puzzle am i missing here?

PS - i am also lookingat the40D, like the original poster, but coming from film, not a 350D.

many thanks, jason.

Edit: ok, obviously the piece i am missing is the indoor low light levels. i found a couple of other threads that mention poorly lit gyms can require something down around f1.8 to still allow fast enough shutter speeds without blurring the action. this is something to ponder on, especially given the fact that not all camera's can function well at ISO 1600 and above, and many don't stretch to ISO 3200 at all! anyhow, enough of my thread high-jacking.

saladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:45 PM   #6

Ebay is a great place to get a good deal, but make sure you check the seller's ID and comments about the seller.

i can recomment a seller called Digitalrev, the prices are pretty cheap, and they have almost always come through tho there is abit of an issue with warranty as they offer their own warranty but getting manufacturers warranty can be more difficult. but they are expanding a fair bit... they got a website.

if you are looking for a replacement for the Canon 350D, if u can wait a little bit, getting the 450D might be an idea.. http://www.digitalrev.com/en/article.php?article_id=341though they wont stock it for awhile yet.
princevanya is offline   Reply With Quote