Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:48 AM   #11

Thanks to both JimC andrjseeney for the corrections.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:22 PM   #12

The new Digital Rebel XTi camera is really cool, compared to the previous Digital Rebel XT, there are some important improvements and also appeal to a wide variety of users. I just gotCanon Digital Rebel XTifor my parents for $598, The camera focus fast and quietly. Camera operations are quick and easy to locate and use. Pictures also look great. I think it's a good option.
weing12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:39 PM   #13

Played around with a D40X, E-510 and a Pentax K10D for about 2 hours tonight. Initial impression from a newbie in the field put the D40X at the top for ease of operation and I really liked the GUI. The Pentax had some cool features (like the DoF preview that I couldn't get to work properly) and it was very easy to configure the settings with, but it was a bit out of my range and felt to be the most heavy/uncomfortable to me.

These basic impressions are only of me taking pictures of frames/camera bags.. but being my first experience EVER with a dSLR in person, I very much enjoyed it. Being the computer geek I am, I love to manually tweak settings for performance/quality, so dSLR is extremely appealing to me at the moment..

Now I just need to get my hands on a D60 unless I find some amazing deal on a D40X to not justify waiting. :P
Lollan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:54 PM   #14

According to the specs, there isn't much that distinguishes the D60 from the D40X except the anti-dust and the white balance bracketing. The size, shape and weight seem to be identical.

I don't think there's much of a reason to wait for the D60 to come to your neighborhood camera dealer, and the sooner you buy something, the better prepared you can be for your California trip.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:55 PM   #15

Considering we leave in 11 days, I think it's pretty much my only choice pending I don't want to pay the extravagent introductory rate on the D60.

TCav wrote:
Quote:
According to the specs, there isn't much that distinguishes the D60 from the D40X except the anti-dust and the white balance bracketing. The size, shape and weight seem to be identical.

I don't think there's much of a reason to wait for the D60 to come to your neighborhood camera dealer, and the sooner you buy something, the better prepared you can be for your California trip.
Lollan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:11 PM   #16

Lollan wrote:
Quote:
Considering we leave in 11 days, ...
11 DAYS! You need to get hot!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:15 AM   #17

I wouldn't wait for the D60 since you need the camera in less than 2 weeks. There are no compelling features that make the D60 stand above the D40x. I'm sure there will be a small, incremental gain in image quality, but nothing you'd be able to notice at normal print sizes. You mention the "extravagant" introductory price of the D60...don't expect that price to fall much for the next 12-18 months. DSLR prices are fairly stable until either a replacement is announced or a competitor releases something with a similiar feature set at a lower price, so that isn't really a reason to wait.

Get the camera and spend some time with it..learning a new camera during a trip of a lifetime doesn't lend itself to getting the great images you are hoping for.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote