Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:42 AM   #1

I am upgrading from a wonderful Oly. C-5050. I considered several others as replacements (Cannon S5IS, Oly. SP-560UZ, Sony DSC-H9 and a Fuji) and I have settled on either the Panasonic DMC FZ-50 or the DMC FZ-18.

I am looking for great picture quality, ease of use, and a camera that has lots of dSLR features without committing toall of the equipmentand expense of a dSLR.

I take lots of family photos - indoor/outdoor, portraits, action (recitals, sports, etc.), vacation scenery shots, museums - so I am really looking for an all around family camera.

I like the FZ50 because of its 10 mp (versus the 8mp of the FZ18, and 5 mp of my current camera) and tilting LCD - I have the tilting LCD on my current cam and have used it (although I could probably live without it). I would buy the FZ18 in a heartbeat if it had those features. Although the FZ18 has an 18x zoom which is excellent -but 12x zoom of the FZ50 is still quite a big jump from the 3x I currently have.

I guess the bottom line is that I am a bit afraid of the FZ50 because I don't want to get into a situation where I have too much camera for my needs or experience.

Any thoughts? :?
kciesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:18 PM   #2

As a user of both Oly and Panasonic, I think you'll be very pleased with either the FZ18 or the FZ50. I have had both the FZ20 and FZ30 and thought of upgrading to one of those, but my hubby wanted me to move to dSLR, so I'm learning the Oly e-410 right now.

Have you tried them out in hand? I was torn between those two as well, but felt that for me the FZ18 had a slight edge - I liked the longer zoom, and was intrigued by the "face detection system" so even though it was the same (8mp) as my FZ30, I felt it might be better for me. It is also considerable lighter weight.

After using my FZ30 for two years, I had never encountered a situation where I needed a higher resolution than it offered. My hubby was looking more seriously at the FZ50 - he wanted the higher MP - but he's happily enjoying my FZ30 for the moment!
Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:52 PM   #3

Go to this link to read this person's blog/experience with the FZ18.

http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/9/index.php
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:58 PM   #4

Here's a couple of reviews you may not have come across on the FZ18 and FZ50. They both go into greater details about the use of RAW images.

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/pan...8/fz18-gen.php (FZ18)

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/pan...0/fz50-gen.php (FZ50)

Also, don't overlook the Canon S5 IS. Here's a review on it from the above site;

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/canon-s5is/s5-gen.php
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:52 AM   #5

Thanks - I decided on the 18. I agree - the weight is an issue, and the zoom is fantastic. I can't wait to start taking pics.
kciesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 6:15 PM   #6

Hi

Do you thing it worth to upgrade from FZ20 to S5 IS?

Thanks
lepa71 is offline   Reply With Quote