Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 17, 2008, 6:53 PM   #21

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
John-

I use the Nikon 70-200mmVR lens with my Nikon D-40 & D-40X, and I have been quite pleased with it. It produces excellent results.The lenswas less than $(US) 500.00, which fit my budget while producing excellent IQ.

Sarah Joyce (in new Zealand today)
Where on earth did you find that lens for under $500?? This lens is $1600-$1800 brand new, and not much less than that in used condition. It naturally should produce excellent results as it is one on the best lenses Nikon has ever made. I just don't believe you got it for that price. Are you sure you're not referring to the 70-300mm VR...that would be in that price range??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:23 PM   #22

Not only are all of the 4/3rd's lenses stabilized, but with the latest firmware adjustment to the E510, any manual focus lens can be image stabilized. You just have to imput the focal length mounted via the adaptor and any prime Zuiko made for the OM system (or any other manual focus lens mounted with the right adaptor) is image stabilized. Manual zooms would be, I figure, a little too dicey since you cannot input a range of focal lengths, but I figure I'll be scouring eBay for OM 50mm f1.4's and maybe evena Nikkor 180mm f2.8.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:44 AM   #23

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Not only are all of the 4/3rd's lenses stabilized, ...
Not quite true. The image stabilization comes from the sensor shift mechanisms in the E-3 and the E-510. Other Olympus dSLRs do not have IS (unless you want to include the digital image stabilization in the E-410. The E-500 and E-330 have no IS).
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:33 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Don't forget that there is a very lovely Leica 14-50 stabilised lens for the 4/3 system.

Not sure how it interacts with the in-body IS of the Olympus cameras.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:11 PM   #25

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget that there is a very lovely Leica 14-50 stabilised lens for the 4/3 system.

Not sure how it interacts with the in-body IS of the Olympus cameras.
Yes, but that's one lens. And there's this:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ol..._14-50mm.shtml

In fact, I had thought that I found out about this link from you!
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:15 PM   #26

Guys I am loving this discussion. Thanks.

Let me inject another question. Does 14 bit processing (ie the Canon Digic III) make that much difference? The new XSi is 14 bit as is the 40D. I don't know the others.

Any thoughts?

JG
JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:01 PM   #27

JohnGaltNY wrote:
Quote:
... Does 14 bit processing (ie the Canon Digic III) make that much difference? The new XSi is 14 bit as is the 40D. ...
JPEG images contain 8 bit color. That is, red, green and blue for each pixel can have up to 256 different distinct values. That's a total of 256 x 256 x 256 or 16.7 million different colors. Most image sensors are capable of detecting a greater number of distict colors, but JPEG images can't store them.

Most image sensors can detect and store 12 bit color. That's 4,096 different distinct values for each of red, green and blue, for a total of 68.7 billion different colors.

Canon's image sensor in the XSi and 40D can detect and store 14 bit color. That's 16,384 different distinct values for each of red, green and blue, for a total of4.3 trillion different colors.

All these different colors are nice if you use RAW (and have enough storage space for all that color data,) but if you store your images as JPEG files, the extra dynamic range is lost in the conversion.

All of this is lost on us anyway, since the human eye can only detect about 10 million different colors.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:45 PM   #28

Thank you TCav for once again separating out the bullsh*t.

I've never shot in RAW so I didn't know that stuff . Now I do.

Thanks again.

JG
JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:05 PM   #29

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Not only are all of the 4/3rd's lenses stabilized, ...
Not quite true.
Should have put the "E510" in the front partof thatsentence instead of after the comma. That was the only body I was referring to in that statement.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:09 PM   #30

JohnGaltNY wrote:
Quote:
Thank you TCav for once again separating out the bullsh*t.
It's not really bullsh*t. Even though the human eye can only distinguish 10 million different colors, not all those colors are within the 16.7 million colors possiblein a JPEG file. We can actually distinguish more different colors of blue than are within the 16.7 million, but there aremore reds and greens than we can distinguish within the 16.7 million. So for some things, the extra color depth is worthwhile. It just doesn't show up in JPEG files.