Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:18 PM   #11

The S5 IS is said by many to be a great camera. I would still go for the FZ-18. From my experience flying (not as a pilot but a passenger), the more zoom, the better. Amony the superzooms, the FZ-18 is the fastest focusing. If the OP got this camera and it turned out to be not what he wanted, he could resell it on Ebay for $200 or more. Loss ? Maybe $150? If he spent $1,000 or more for a DSLR plus zoom lens, he would be out more if he didn't like it. My brother is a career pilot, flying 747's all over the world. He has a Fuji S6000fd, which he likes a lot. However, he says that sometimes it's a little too bulky to be carrying around all the time. A DSLR with zoom lens(es) would be even bulkier. The FZ-18 is good at ISO 100 and ok at ISO 200. That would probably be enough for most shots from dawn to dusk.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:29 AM   #12

robbo wrote:
Quote:
The S5 IS is said by many to be a great camera. I would still go for the FZ-18. From my experience flying (not as a pilot but a passenger), the more zoom, the better.
An S5IS with teleconverter could give you the best of both worlds.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:53 AM   #13

I am starting to shy away from the Panasonic, just because of the noise. Is it better with the S5? As far as the zoom goes, 12x is plenty. A dSLR is not an option. Aside from the money (which is huge) I don't want to lug around seriously heavy photo equipment. As mentioned in a previous post (by Suzan) I have also checked out the Kodak website. They have a new camera coming out in April that looks intriguing. 10 megapixels, 12x zoom. It's the Z1012is. I have had Kodak before (the 6490) and I loved it. Is Kodak worth considering? However, like I said, the Canon is still in the running. Thanks to everyone for the advice - keep it coming please!!!!!
sandykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:37 AM   #14

Have read several postings, even in another forum, that the Panasonics are a bit noisier and need some getting used to.

As to Kodak's, we won't know until the new model comes out. My personal experience with Kodak is not bad (Z612) but have the following observations about it:
1. No hotshoe - bad if you take a lot of indoor shots requiring a more powerful flash
2. After less than a year and very little use, the date and time resets everytime I change batteries even if I change in the fastest way possible
3. Indoor shots using the built-in flash result in darker pictures than with my Canon S5 - the Canon has more natural-looking photos
4. Video of the Z series (612, 712, 812) is lousy - picture focus and audio cut out when you zoom while on video

Will the 10mp Z-series overcome all of the above? Remains to be seen.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:43 AM   #15

a-beginner wrote:
Quote:
2. After less than a year and very little use, the date and time resets everytime I change batteries even if I change in the fastest way possible
This is a fault; a failed capacitor. Others have reported and discussed it.

As for indoor shots, just twiddle the exposure up a bit. I can't understand why folk clever enough to frequent these forums believe that the automatic exposure systems on their cameras are cleverer than they are. I've never owned a camera that gets it right even most of the time.

The wonder of digicams is that you can take another shotto correct it, (or, if you're lucky, use a live preview to correct it before you push the button).

Alan T (Happy Kodak Z712is owner)
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:36 PM   #16

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
I can't understand why folk clever enough to frequent these forums believe that the automatic exposure systems on their cameras are cleverer than they are.

Alan T (Happy Kodak Z712is owner)

Alan,

It's because I also own a Canon S5IS and on auto mode, get very natural-looking, nicely exposed indoor shots without having to tweak the settings. (To compare, I've taken side-by-sde shots of the same scene with both cams.)