Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:16 PM   #1

I need advice on what digital camera to buy. I want something that I can take hunting with me and get pictures of deer that I might see that would range in distance from 5 to 100yards and almost always in lower light conditions. I bought a Casio Exilim EX Z1000 thinking it was small and with the 10.1 mega pixels and the 3X optic zoom I could enlarger the pictures and get what I wanted. Well a deer in some what low light and at 15 yards looked more like a spec than a deer and when I went to digitally zoom in on it the clarity was terrible. It was not even close to viewing the deer with the naked eye and I was hoping for better than that.
I have been looking at cameras in the $400-500 range and have seen some with ultra zooms and even IR capabilities. I have IR game cameras but have no idea what an IR regular camera does. I don't want to buy something and end up like I did on the Casio, no good for my application.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
jab862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:45 PM   #2

The Casio EX-Z1000 has a lens with a field of view equivalent to that of a 38 to 114mm lens on a 35mm film camera. That's not near enough magnification for what youwant to do.

But I presume you already have a spotting scope. You might be able to use a camera that can work with the spotting scope and get exactly the magnification you need.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:21 PM   #3

I hunt from a treestand and travel light so no spotting scope. I also need somthing that I can pick up and get the picture quick because most deer are only visible for a minute or so before they move off. I am looking for something that will give me a picture bettere than the naked eye. My camera doesn't come close to even the same as what I see. The distances are usually 60 yards and less. Thanks
jab862 is offline   Reply With Quote