Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2008, 2:55 PM   #1

Hi all

I have a Nikon DSLR which I love to death, but for certain situations its just too darn big. So I want to get a ultracompact that I can take with me everywhere, no matter what.

There are some nice out there now, nut none that immediately appealed to me. There are a few coming out however, that appealed more. These are the Pentax Optio S12, and Sony DSC-S780 and DSC-W120.

Problem is, I kinda need the camera now, not late march, which is when I believe we might see these cameras in retail stores.

So my question is, what would you do? Would you wait? And if not, what camera would you buy NOW?

Thanks!
CrackaBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:20 PM   #2

If price were no object I would buy the Canon SD950.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:25 PM   #3

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I would like to keep it under $300. And the smaller the better. But the SD950 and SD850 looks very nice.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:40 AM   #4

well since i am shopping for p&s. and after my research, i would go with:

1. Fuji F50fd for the price and having
Aperture and Shutter Priority Modes
2. Fuji F100fd because it has wide lens and it sort of an improvement over ^
3. Sony DSC-T300 for its design and 3.5'' touch screen
4. Olympus Stylus 1020 for 7x optical zoom

lots of new cameras are comming this March (including 2,3,4) so i would wait. and also looks like Fuji is famous for it ability to shot in low light, well at least F50fd is.

kolyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:26 PM   #5

I appreciate the advice here.

kolyan, the Fujis look very nice and I'm sure they are great, but they are too large for me, and the F100 will be too expensive.

The Canon SD950 is a great camera, but its slightly too bulky and too expensive.

Here is what Im looking for: an ultra-compact costing about or under $300, nice looking, and it has to be quick/responsive.

I realize there are a lot of nice cameras coming out, but the problem is I can't wait much longer, and also it seems that the greatest improvement these cameras have is the bump up to 12MP, which in all seriousness is a waste, I don't need more than 8MP.

So as for cameras currently on the market, it has pretty much boiled down to these two for me:
- Sony T200. I can get it for a little over $300. Looks stunning. I like the LCD, and it supposedly has very good battery life. I dont like that it uses MS tho.
DPReview: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_t200-review/

- Canon SD1100 IS. Costs $250, is small, supposedly quick and responsive, takes good movies. Battery life isn't top notch I hear.
DPReview: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/cano...0is/page10.asp

What do you guys say about these two? Any other stylish ultra-compacts I should consider that haven't already been mentioned?

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2008, 4:06 PM   #6
Super Moderator

You could also have a look at the Panasonics. The FX33 & FX55 look pretty nice. I have an older FX01 - gives very decent pics.

Pluses for me are the compactness, nice 28mm (equivalent) wide angle Leica lens, Optical Image stabilisation, video works fine, takes SD cards, looks quite nice and it's a bit different because everyone has Canons. :P

A lot of family and friends have Canon SD series cameras. Fantastic pics and I've never heard anyone complain about battery life.

But if I were buying a replacement for my Panny I would definitely go for the Olympus 790 or similar - their "rugged" range, shockproof and waterproof. Just what you want in a carry-everywhere compact for when you don't want to take a bigger camera.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 4:42 PM   #7

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
You could also have a look at the Panasonics. The FX33 & FX55 look pretty nice. I have an older FX01 - gives very decent pics.

Pluses for me are the compactness, nice 28mm (equivalent) wide angle Leica lens, Optical Image stabilisation, video works fine, takes SD cards, looks quite nice and it's a bit different because everyone has Canons. :P

A lot of family and friends have Canon SD series cameras. Fantastic pics and I've never heard anyone complain about battery life.

But if I were buying a replacement for my Panny I would definitely go for the Olympus 790 or similar - their "rugged" range, shockproof and waterproof. Just what you want in a carry-everywhere compact for when you don't want to take a bigger camera.
Thats great, thanks for the info. I was actually looking at the waterproof olympus as well. I hear its great to have a camera thats waterproof. Its a little bigger than the DS1100 but its actually slightly thinner. It uses xD memory tho, which I hate.
Cant find any reviews. You have any other thoughts on it?

The Pana FXs seem real nice, but I see no reason to get them over the proven PowerShot.

Old Mar 5, 2008, 5:26 PM   #8

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=25

ps. paid $250 shipped for R7
kolyan is offline   Reply With Quote