Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:04 PM   #1

Hello,

I just joined this forum, but I've been reading for a while. Very nice forum.

My current camera is a Kodak C713. It's a very nice little camera, and I don't really have any problems with it. I would just like a camera with a little more "oomph". My previous cameras were both Canons, an A420, and an A530. I loved my A530. Unfortunately, so did someone else. It disappeared, probably in the pocket of one of my daughter's friends.

I use my camera just for ordinary photos, especially of my dogs and cats. A lot of my pictures are taken indoors. I'd like a camera that had both automatic and manual settings. I want to learn more about taking good photos.

I'm considering the Canon S5 or G9, and also the Kodak Z712. I'd like a good zoom. My dogs hate to have their picture taken (I wonder why?), and it's hard to sneak up on them. The cats could care less.

Sorry for the rather long post.
reddogsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:52 PM   #2

The S5 and the Z712 are very comparable cameras with slightly different strengths. The hot shoe of the S5 allows the use of an external flash which can permit flash at longer distances or bounce flash. The Z712 on the other hand probably has better high ISO/noise performance than the S5, likely the best of any 1/2.5 sensor camera.

The G9 gives up zoom range to use a larger sensor. It also is said to feel more rugged (and is heavier). Whether that actually translates into more reliability is an unknown. I don't think any of them can be expected to withstand a foot drop onto concrete although any of them might. Note - I use a Z612 and am pleased with it.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:19 PM   #3

Thank you, ac. I appreciate your input. I have actually been leaning toward the Z712. I live in southern West Virginia, and Wal-Mart and Circuit City are just about the two closest places where I can purchase cameras. I don't have anything against buying online, but I like to see the actual camera before I buy it.

Interesting that you should mention the Z612. Wal-Mart has the Z612 bundled with a C600 printer for $199.84. They have the Z712 for $229, and Circuit City has it for $212. This isn't going to be an immediate purchase, so I have time to do some research before I buy.
reddogsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:56 PM   #4

Really all three of the cameras your considering will make excellent photos so handling the cameras, going through the menus and the controls and even taking a few shots on your own memory card will probably give you the best information for purchase.

The Wal Mart prices you're seeing are better than what Wal Mart has here. We have most of the chains EXCEPT Circuit City. I tend to buy my Kodaks from Kodak's refurb web site. For comparison their prices (if available) are $165 for a Z612, $170 for a Z712 and a whopping $225 for a Z812. Wal Mart's Z612 bundle is an excellent price IF one needs (wants) a 4x6 photo printer. The two important additions that a Z712 has, over my Z612 are the in-camera panoramic photo stitching and a useful high(er) ISO capability. The Z812 adds an HD video capability which is no importance to me.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote