Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:01 PM   #11

Essentially all current 12 MP cameras with a 1/1.72 sensor are going to have the same fundamental signal to noise ratio. As ISO is increased then the become less noise/less detail or more noise/more detail until both are lost. Likewise the more zoom range the lens has, assuming a given size sensor and less aperture, the larger the lens.

With that in mind you might what to check the Kodak Z1275 (which Steve has tested) or the Z1285.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 4:03 PM   #12

Hi AC

Thanks. I checked the kodack ones you recommended. The size and battery type are great but it does not have the "grip" that makes the Canon A-series and Nikon p series stand out of the crowd.

Regards

Anour
Anour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:11 PM   #13

Look at the Fuji A900. Also from my experences using a 9 mega-pixel camerayou will need wither a 2GB or a 4GB memory card for it. It can use 4GB Sd cards and 2GB xD cards.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:16 PM   #14

gwei wrote:
Quote:
I want to know what's wrong with A650. People keep saying about its noise, but doesn't it use the same sensor and lens as G9? G9 has got raw etc but I don't think it's critical since it's a compact any way.

My brother got an A650 to replace an older 2MP Cannon A series camera last year. he had is opther cannon since 2003. He told me his old camera produced better pictures and he ended up after 20 days talking it back. He said the pictures looked grainy when printed bigger than 5 x 7 and his shots of his 1 year old crawling always looked like he moved the camera a lot and had noise as he called it.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:25 PM   #15

Anour wrote:
Quote:
Hi AC

Thanks. I checked the kodack ones you recommended. The size and battery type are great but it does not have the "grip" that makes the Canon A-series and Nikon p series stand out of the crowd.

Regards

Anour
Actually it does have a rib to position one's fingers.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:11 PM   #16

Here is a comparison noise from one of Steve's sample pictures withsome of the cameras above. It is not quite apples-to-apples as the lighting and time of day is not the same at different pictures. I still believe Nikon p5000 (no sample of P5100 available) appears to be the best. What do you think?

Anour
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2008, 8:40 AM   #17

Quite frankly I can't see the the P5000 is particularly superior. While it does nicely on "Serving Daily" the foliage is mush. Note - the sky was rendered white with the Nikon, was that atmospherics or did it bias the exposure to the shadow area hence the nice lettering? Or was that a difference in the sharpening algorithms? Of the four the one that grabs me is the A710.

For a comparison here's a 100% crop on the Steve sample for the Z1275.
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:04 PM   #18

Here is another side -by-side comparison of the dark part of the same scene taken by the recommended cameras. I just added the sample from a DSLR (Canon Rebel XTi) as reference or probably the best we mayexpect from a non-DSLR camera. Thelower picture is passed through an automatic contrast enhancement to better show the picture noise dots. Here is my visual judgement from best to worst:

A650, A710, P5000, Z1275 and A920

Does anyone know a better (less noisy) non-DSLR of comparable size and "grip"?

Thanks

Anour

Attached Images