Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:54 PM   #1

Hi fellows

I want to upgrade from myCanon A710IS to a better but non-DSLR camera with a handy grip like Canon A-seriesbut with less noise. My research, including youranswers to different questions on this site,shows that Nikon P5100may be the best choice with Canon G9 asthe runner up (it is a bit bulky).

Am I missing a better camera? Is there any other option with 1/1.7 sensor or larger in this size range.

I have had three Canon A-series cameras so far(A85, A530 and A710IS) that have been fine and I love their grip but they are all noisy. I am looking for a higher image quality choice in this form-factor and size range

I appreciate your recommendations and expert opinion.

Regards

Anour
Anour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:35 AM   #2

its may be bulky in your mind but the fuji S-9100 is a great great camera. Its a D-SLR style camera but without the interchangeable lenses....... 10x zoom and ahost of features push the ability to use a hotshoe flash when needed.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:54 AM   #3

I just had a look of Nikon P5100after seeing your post. Really a nice camera. I especially like the BSS (Best Shot Selector) - identifies and saves the sharpest image automatically from ten sequential shots.

However, to methe 3.5X zoom is justbitdisapointing. If it's 6X, like Canon A650, I'll certainly consider.

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:10 PM   #4

Photo 5

Thanks for the Fuji recommendation but I would like to be able to carry it with me inmy pocket. I am looking for the best image quality with a size not bigger than Nikon P5100 or Canon A-series,

Any recommendation in that range?

Anour
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:13 PM   #5

Gwei

I agree with you that P5100 does not have enough zoom but it has many other nice features. The bottom line is image quality particularly low noise. Does it really have the best image quality in its class (size)?

Regards

Anour
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:32 PM   #6

Anour wrote:
Quote:
Gwei

I agree with you that P5100 does not have enough zoom but it has many other nice features. The bottom line is image quality particularly low noise. Does it really have the best image quality in its class (size)?

Regards

Anour
No. The Canon G9 has more zoom and better picture quality.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 1:42 AM   #7

have you looked at the Canon S3 and S5?
wilson44512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 4:41 AM   #8

S5 is bit too bulky. I think both Anour and me are searching the same camera, that is a compat that can be carried around in pocket or on waist. Of course it has to be the best in image quality.

I want to know what's wrong with A650. People keep saying about its noise, but doesn't it use the same sensor and lens as G9? G9 has got raw etc but I don't think it's critical since it's a compact any way.

The main reason turns me away from G9 is it doesn't have a flip screen. I like flip screen. My last compact was A610. I enjoyed the flip screen on it. You can raisecamera above your head or put it on the ground or even makethe screen90 degree and pretend you are not shooting the people so they keep doing what they doing naturally...and so on. I also like using AA batteries. They really save lots of hassles.

Ok, I feel in love with A650, but am now bit confused about it's image quality. This is where I need your opinions.

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:05 PM   #9

Andy

Thanks for your recommendation. I have read a few articles comparing Canon G9 and Nikon p5100. The extra zoom of G9 comes with a bigger size & weight (some refer to it as brick). Iwould not mind that if I am assured that it has better quality (lower noise). But looks like no one has tested them side by side.

Regards

Anour
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:12 PM   #10

Wilson & Gwei

Like Gwei, I believe Canon S series are a bit too large to be in the pocket.A650 and p5100 have both 1/1.7 inch sensor that appears to be almost the largest sensorsize in the non-dslr range. I am not sure that I gain much by giving up my A710IS for an upgrade to A650. Is it really much of an upgrade?

Regards

Anour