Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 29, 2008, 5:15 PM   #11

nabhitech wrote:
Quote:
thanx robbo

i forgot to mention i have limited amount of budget for cam like 300 $ max per cam

i wonder how many shots will a 640 or a630 by canon survive

This is just a WAG but I'd say say you've got a 60% chance of reaching 8,000 cycles average on all ten cameras.

What you're proposing to do requires an unlimited budget.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 5:34 PM   #12

You also need to consider how and where you save all those images (PC with a huge HD or two, network file server, what have you), how to catalogue them properly - just file names from several different cameras won't give you much and they can and will be the same file names on more than one occasion. Another serious matter is a backup of the whole image library - you don't want to start it all over again, if you HD dies on you when you already shot 500,000 pages.
Good luck with the project, honestly, I wouldn't like to be in your shoes with your budget and time frame.
cheers,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:14 PM   #13

As others have said, you're not going to get it done if you're using people to operate a camera and flip pages. Maybe if you were going at it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you might be able to complete your goals of scanning 1 million pages with 10 stations, but you'd have to have lots of people available to keep up speed and minimize downtime due to breaks.

Your best plan would be to minimize the amount of people you need by using as much automation as possible.

If I was doing this, I could get this job done in 3 weeks, using 8 hour workdays, and 5 workdays per week, and with only 3 people. This is assuming the 1 million pages includes the back of each page.

I would set up 3 stations with 3 scanners per station. The scanner would be a Fujitsu Scansnap S510. Fujitsu's are available internationally, so you can definitely get one as easily as any camera. One person would have plenty of time to stock each scanner. The only consumables that would be the padd assembly, which would need to be replaced after the first week. I don't know how much this part costs.

Anyway, here are my cost breakdowns.

Camera method cost:
Dollars per day 5
Pages per minute 10
Hours per day 8
Days per week 6
Cameras per station 1
Weeks 4
Stations 10

Pages scanned 1152000

Cost of camera labor 1200
Cost per camera 300
Cost for all cameras 3000

Total cost 4200

Scanner method costs:
Dollars per day 5
Pages per minute 18
Hours per day 8
Days per week 5
Scanners 3
Weeks 3
Stations 3

Pages scanned 1166400

Cost of scanner labor 225
Cost per scanner 400
Cost for all scanners 3600

Total cost 3825

As you can see, you save nearly $400 by using a scanner. If labor is more expensive, you'll save MUCH more money. With the time saved, you can start earning money doing another job.

Anyway, my opinion is that you'd be a poor businessman if you insist on using cameras.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:35 AM   #14

well heres the scene

i gotta start it asap

theres no scanner of this type available in here

but the cams are and i have talked to canon n sony people here

they say theres will be no such prob with their cams like a640 and a 630

and sony cam of h5 and h7 and h9

so tell me wat to do now

lets see if i be able to do it with cams
nabhitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:17 AM   #15

nabhitech wrote:
Quote:
with extra memory card supporting 1 or 2 gb each
Bad idea. Get a camera that can connect directly to a computer so the images are stored directly on a hard disk drive (or better yet, a server), instead of aflash memory card in the camera that will have to be swapped out to get the images off it.Every time estimate you've read here assumes uninterrupted operation. If you use flash memory cards to store the images in the camera, and then have to transfer the images from the flash memory card to a computer, the time required to do the job will double.

There are a number of cameras that will do this, and some can even be controlled from a computer, so in order to take the shot,the operatorjust clicks on a button on the computer screen instead of pressing the shutter button on the camera, risking image blur due to camera shake.

nabhitech wrote:
Quote:
theres no scanner of this type available in here

but the cams are and i have talked to canon n sony people here

they say theres will be no such prob with their cams like a640 and a 630

and sony cam of h5 and h7 and h9
Let me get this straight. You're in a part of the world where you can talk toCanon and Sony people, but where you can't rent a Canon copier?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:57 AM   #16

yes tcav

they have cams ready but they dont have any scanners

badluck of mine
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:13 PM   #17

One last note of caution: Camera lenses on inexpensive digicams, when used for close up work, are likely to suffer from significant geometric distortion, softness in the corners, and possibly vignetting. If you can tolerate that, then good luck to you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 3:17 AM   #18

hi folks

i just found out that canon powershot a630 and a640 cams have electronic shutters

since they have no mechanical shutters at all which means they can survive longer when taking snaps in big amount

thats wat i have been told by canon guy here

well can u guys shed some light on this please

thanx
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:21 PM   #19

I am sure that the cameras have an electronic shutter. However, I will surprised if thse cameras survive taking 100,000 pictures in a month or less, which will be he case if you buy 10 of them. Today's digital cameras are like little computers inside a camera casing. They have circuit boards. I imagine those boards heat up a lot when they take lots of pictures in a short time. I wonder if they can withstand the prolonged heating they will undergo when they are in the midst of your project.But, does a Canon A630/640 come with a one year warranty? I think so. So maybe you can just take the burnt out cameras back to Mr. Canon and ask for replacements.

I still think thesheet fed scanners would be an easier way if the documents thatyou are copying fit into them.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:45 PM   #20

nabhitech wrote:
Quote:
hi folks

i just found out that canon powershot a630 and a640 cams have electronic shutters

since they have no mechanical shutters at all which means they can survive longer when taking snaps in big amount

thats wat i have been told by canon guy here

well can u guys shed some light on this please

thanx
I can neither confirm nor deny the info you've received. Based on what I can find on the web it may have a electronically controlled mechanical shutter, an electronic shutter or BOTH.

Also pay attention to what TCav said about distortion. The solution is to set the lens to a middle focal length or beyond (2x to 4x zoom) and adjust your shooting distance to correctly frame the document. You would still use macro mode.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote