Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:35 AM   #1

I am now on the market for a high end compact digital camera. Not too compact to host a decent lens and not too bulky to carry on my waist. I have previously owned an A40 and then an A610, which died recently. I was pretty happy with my A610, for its image quality, not its short life span (a little more than 2 years) of course.

My objective is to have a decent camera that I can carry easily around to supplement my DSLR.

After a lengthy research, I was sort of interested in the new G9 as it appears to be the closest to a DSLR, or at least that was Canon's intention. But I am disappointed that it does not have a flip screen and it does not use far more convenient AA batteries.

On the other hand, A650 not only addresses the above requests, it actually uses exactly the same lens and the same sensor as G9. Plus it is much cheaper. So to my needs it is better and cheaper. My decision therefore seems to be an obvious one.

Now as I keep doing my research on the Internet, I found A650 doesn;t actually earn itself much favourable reviews. I feel in love with it when I read the features etc, but there is not enough encouragement. Many reviews are critical on its noises, which some people believe it's is a sacrifice to the higher resolution. This makes me hesitating as my No 1 concern is image quality.

Canon A650 - Buy or not to buy? That is my question. ^_^

Any other options? Please help.

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:30 AM   #2

I think I am going to get an A650. Here are some user reviews:

http://www.retrevo.com/s/Canon+A650+...Viewpoints%3D1

Had trouble posting the above link. you may need copy & paste
Old Mar 3, 2008, 1:02 AM   #3

Like you, I've also considered the same cameras as you, but decided against the G9 for the same reason. If it has AA batteries, I'd almost certainly get it, but without AA batteries, I can't justify the cost when I'm being restricted to a proprietary battery and charger. The A650 is very nice, but I'm a little miffed that they've removed the ability to control the camera with your computer. I've also been lookin at the SX100. I believe it also has an adapter ring, it has pc control, it uses AA batteries, and it has that huge 10x zoom. The downside to the SX100 is the lack of OVF and rotating screen. Now if they brought back pc control to the A650, and boosted teh zoom to 10x, it'd be a winner on all counts.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:37 AM   #4

Leaftye

What a coincident, I am putting more weight on SX100 as well. Indeed if I am prepared to sacrifice the flip screen (which is very hard for me), the SX100 is really a good choice, especially for the price. According to some reviews its image quality is nearly as good as the popular bigger brother - S5.

Cons:
No flipping screen (A650 has)
No viewfinder (A650 has)
Bad battery performance (2 x AA ? compared to 4 for A650)
Can not zoom in video mode (A650 can)

Well, it seems very hard to have all the goodies on one camera. After all today's cameras are far more advanced than a few years ago. I guess all I need to do is to get a coin and toss it......^_^
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:34 PM   #5

When you compare the A650 with the A720 or the SX100 you should not forget that the A650 has a significantly larger sensor and that means clearly better image quality. The pixel size is virtually the same for all three cameras, but the A650 has a lot more. Thus if you downsize the A650 pics to 8 MP, the resolution of the A720 and SX100, the A650 pixels will look significantly better. Also do not forget that the A650 shares the lens with the G9, Canon's top digicam. The other advantages of the A650 were already listed by gwei.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 8:24 PM   #6

I had a Canon A610 and I am happy about its image quality considring the portability of it. I assume A650 would be much better, or am I wrong?

Below is an image taken with my A610:

Attached Images