Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:36 PM   #1

I'm looking for a digicam suitable for high speed sports recording, ie table tennis. I wantto be able to record matches, and also be able to show some of the action in slo-mo, which is where (I assume) the faster frame rate will produce much smoother and sharper video.

I'm keen on the Sanyo Xacti HD1000 as this offers a few 60fps modes, although I probably don't really need the HD.

Would this camera be suitable or is there something better around?

Thanks a lot!
haggisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:55 AM   #2

Are you looking for a digital camera to shoot high quality video or stills? Sounds like with looking at 60fps you are looking for more of a video camera than a still digital camera. However if your looking to shoot short burst 3 to 5fps cannon makes some excellent cameras for sports shooting.. John G on this site is a wealth of info in sports shooting you may want to track him down and see if he can help you out.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:56 AM   #3

[align=left]Hi Dave!

Yes I'm after a video camera, not a still camera.

Cheers!
[/align]
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:07 AM   #4

If the lighting is good, you could use the Fuji S8000fd or the Olympus SP-560, which have 7 FPS and 15 FPS burst modes at reduced resolutions (between 1.3 and 4 megapixels). However, if lighting is dim, you would probably need a DSLR with a bright lens. John G is he expert on sports shooting.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:36 AM   #5

[align=left]Hmmm thanks for the reply, but I just posted that I'm after a video camera, not a still camera...:-)

Any feedback appreciated, thanks!!!
[/align]
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:11 AM   #6

it might be difficult to get good feedback as this is mostly a digicam sight. I'm not sure if there are similar video cam sites out there. But, you're kind of at the mercy of asking a bunch of photographers if any of them use video cameras.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Administrator

One of the things I noticed in our Sanyo Xacti HD1000 Review is the brightness of it's lens. It's an f/1.8-2.5 lens (very bright compared to most cameras). So, it may not be a bad low light performer compared to similar models. You'll have to dig around for user comments about how it compares to most dedicated video cameras.

Steve's has a page for Digital Camcorders you may want to browse through. It has links to many popular models, as well as a section with links to other sites with reviews.

See Steve's hands on review of the Sanyo you're looking at here:

Sanyo Xacti HD1000

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 8:23 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes Steve's review was excellent and comprehensive!

I'm just not sure how suitable it is for the purpose i want to use it for, which is whyI'masking here...

Cheers!