Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:30 AM   #1

Hello,

I'm on the market to buy a new DSLR. I have a Pentax K100D but I think the camera is to slow with tracking focus (when subjects are moving towards or away from me) and I think it takes way to long to focus in dim light.

Since Pentax has way less lens choice than Nikon and Canon, I also orientated withthese two brands

my choices are:

Nikon D80 with 18-135 and the 70-300 VR (other lens suggestions are welcome)

Canon 30D with 18-85 and ????

Pentax K10D with Sigma 17-70 and pentax 60-250 (depends on the price)

The budget is the total costs of the Nikon with the two lenses (in Holland it is about € 1500)

I use the camera for family snaps, but also for landscapes, portraits an weddings.

So wich one would you choose and why?

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:41 AM   #2

Rudo wrote:
Quote:
I use the camera for family snaps, but also for landscapes, portraits an weddings.

So wich one would you choose and why?

Rudo
Welcome to the forums!

I have a couple questions for you. You mentioned you're unhappy with your current DSLR because of it's slowness in low light and it's lacking in tracking a subject. Can you elaborate on what shots you're taking that require focus tracking (i.e. where your subject is moving toward and away). I dont see sports or wildlife. So is it part of your family snaps that you do this for? If so, under what circumstances? This is important because lenses play a part in it too.

I would also ask about your portrait and wedding photography. None of the lenses in the 3 kits you've mentioned are particularly suited for portrait photography. And what type of wedding work? Just as a family guest or as an official photographer? Because again, the lenses can play a larger part in quality photos than the camera can. And, both wedding and portrait photography can benefit greatly from the use of external flash.

Just want to help identify the root causes of your issues. It may be that a new camera body can help but the problems you're encountering may have as much or more to do with not having the right lenses/flashes as they do with your current camera body.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:55 PM   #3

Hello,

Thanks for the reply:

The slowness of the K100D with tracking is mainly with sports of one of my sons playing football. Normally I only take these pictures when its a clear day, so lightning is good. But also other shots of my kids playing inside of the house or outside.....

The weddings is as a guest or invited specially to take the pictures (as a second photographer non-profit, besides a professional)

I didn't name a portrait lens because I know the Tamron 90 mm is a good lens for that and I also want a 50 mm prime.

I have with my K100D the two kitlenses and the FA 50mm f1.4. It doesn't matter which of these lenses I use, in dim light it takes to long to lock focus and with the prime it oftens misses focus in dim light.

I hope this answers your questions and hope you can help me make a choice. For now I lean against the Nikon D80 because of the menus, it lays good in my hands and ......

But somehow I'm allways atracted to the Canon D30......

The K10D may be the cheapest choice because I don't have to buy the 50 mm prime.

Rudo
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:00 PM   #4

If you are unhappy with the K100 AF, you'll be unhappy with the K10. If you want better results you would need to move up to the new new K20, which seemed to have faster AF when I tested it in the camera store. That might be out of your price range though (it seems to me that its a significantly better camera in manydifferent waysthan my K10).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:44 AM   #5

mtngal schreef:
Quote:
If you are unhappy with the K100 AF, you'll be unhappy with the K10. If you want better results you would need to move up to the new new K20, which seemed to have faster AF when I tested it in the camera store. That might be out of your price range though (it seems to me that its a significantly better camera in manydifferent waysthan my K10).
Hello,

Thanks for the reply! Very helpfull, cause now the K10D is of my list!

So you're saying that maybe I have to wait for reviews on the K20D?

Time is not an issue, cause I'm planning to buy a new camera in may/june, so......

I think prices will drop shortly after its release here in Holland, so maybe it is within my budget if I know a good tele at the range of 70-300 (now I only have 200 mm at the max, and I really want more tele) at the price range up to € 400 / $ 500. So any suggestion would be great!

Rudo

Old Mar 5, 2008, 8:23 AM   #6

Well, you'll definitely see a dramatic increase in focus performance with either the nikon or canon. Both in low light and in tracking in general. There's a reason these systems control 99% of pro sports and focus speed / accuracy plays a large part in that.

However the issue is the lens cost. I'll talk about Canon since that is what I know and the route you're leaning anyway:

17-85 is a very decent walk-around lens. It's not top of the line but it isn't junk.

For the football you'll need plenty of reach - if your son is playing on a full sized field you'll need at least 300mm. If everything is during good light, the Canon 70-300 ($560 USD) would be my recommendation. It's the best bang-for-the-buck at that focal length. The budget alternative is the Sigma 70-300. But that lens lacks HSM (sigma's silent wave motor ) so it's slow to focus and their's a significant drop-off in optical quality from the canon. But it's an alternative if you're on a tight budget. If there are games in poor light you'll have to spend significantly more $$ to get a lens capable of shooting that action.

The canon 50mm 1.4 is about $360 and a very nice lens by all accounts.

the system switch in and of itself wont improve your good light non-action photography (i.e portraits, landscapes). Better optics will have a larger impact on those. So, you're paying a hunk of $$ to improve your low light focusing and all your action photography. It will be a very noticable improvement. But just want you to go into the decision with your eyes open as to what benefits you will get and those that you wont.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 6:58 PM   #7

I would agree with JohnG - while the K20 focused faster than my personal K10, I seriously doubt it would match the Canon/HSM lens combination (the faster focusing was noticeable to me, but not so much that I went "wow").

So it really does come down to how much gain in AF speed do you want versus how much money do you want to spend? My budget is quite limited, and I don't shoot much sports, but when I do, I end up using my $500 manual focus 300mmlens. I've taken some really nice pictures with it, but it's a lot more work than a super fast AF lens on a Canon camera - I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's doing lots of sports.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:30 PM   #8

Thanks for all the input you gave me. I'll wait and see how prices develop in the next few months and make mychoice then. Then I also know exactly how much I can spend, so maybe it's gonna be the Nikon D300..... (I doubt it, but a man can dream)

Rudo