Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:58 PM   #11

Thank you Sarah and Jerrybird for your immense help. Now when I go to make my selection, I feel so informed and prepared.

Sarah, I am so proud of myself, I followed your direction, and wow, what a thrill to see your seagull so up close. I am taking a cruise to Norway this summer, so I will try to get a similar photo.

Thanks a million to both of you.

mslliv
msliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:04 PM   #12

msliv-

You are very welcome. No matter which camera you choose, enjoy it and post a few photo samples when you have a chance.

Well, perhaps someday in the future our paths might cross. I teach digital cameras on cruise ships about 10 months out of every year. I am mostly working this year with Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:38 PM   #13

Sarah.

How interesting, I have done a few cruises with R.R.C.(the last one to the Med. A friend of mine is a captain with that line as well. My cruise to Norway is with Celebrity, and I will post some photos.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:29 PM   #14

msliv-

My husband and I worked for 4 years as "in house" lecturers for Celebrity teaching digital cameras. It is a good cruise line. I am sure that you will enjoy your cruise to Norway. Celebrity usually does only1 to 3 each year to the Norwegian Fjords.

Enjoy your cruise. My husband and I love Norway.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:33 PM   #15

msliv-

I had a real surprize today! I took the same photo with my Canon G-7 and my S-5. The G-7 was remarkably (measurably)better. Yes, it came as a real surprize to me as well. There might be a sizable (measurable)advantage in reducing the zoom. I will play with this for a few days and let you know the final results.

This is a very interesting change, that I would not have honestly expected.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:37 PM   #16

Sarah.

That is interesting, but my comparison between the G7 and G9, shows better ratings for the G9. Is that correct? Basically what the "experts" say's G9 is an later and improved version of the G7. Glad I have some time to hear your review and what conclusion you draw.

By the way, I have sailed on the Century Infinity ( Alaska) just wish I had a good camera at the time. Loved the cruise, and so glad you like Norway, one of the ports we are to visit is my home town. Can't wait to go back with a great camera .

msliv
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:06 PM   #17

msliv-

Yes, with the few shots that I have taken, the G-7 with 6X optical zoom, is clearly better image-wise, than the S-5. However, I miss the 12X optical zoom of the S-5.

The G-9 has 2 more mp on the same size CCD imager, which makes me concerned about the potential for noise at ISO settings above ISO 200. Later this week I will be able to borrow a friend's A-650 and G-9. So, I will post some sample photos from each of them.

Here is a photo sample from the G-7

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:37 PM   #18

msliv,

You may wish to visit this website to do comparisons of the various camera's image quality, while you wait for more answers to your questions.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

I have ordered a G9 to replace the A620, and expect delivery tomorrow. UPS called today and sounded like the cable guy, "we will deliver sometime between 7 AM and 7 PM, be home", since I have to sign for it.

Be aware that ANY point-and-shoot you buy today will not be perfect in the image quality area, when compared to most dSLRs. This is especially true in low light and most action (sports) areas, from what I have read. The G9 can shoot in RAW, so this can help overcome some of these shortcomings. The problems are related to more megapixels being stuffed on to a small CCD. The S5 has a smaller CCD than the G9, but the S5 has fewer MP than the G9. This all boils down to noise issues. You might want to read this link on dealing with that noise. It compares the G9, G7, and S5, as well as dSLRs.

http://www.photoaficionado.com/tips/noise_g9.html

hope this will help,
Dennis

denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:28 PM   #19

I apologize, duplicate posting!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:28 PM   #20

msliv-

Have you also looked at the Panasonic FZ-18? It is priced very well now, and it is capable of some excellent photos. However, for some folks, it is too big.Here is a Panasonic FZ-18 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images