Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:14 AM   #21

Sarah.

All I can say is "wow" fabelous. I can only hope to aspire to such photos.

Dennis, I appreciate all the info. and I will surely check this out. With all the help I have received on this thread, I have to improve my photo skills and knowledge. Sarah I can't wait for your research on the other cameras as well. One question though, what is the noise people talk about. Is it audible or descriptive?

msliv

msliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:24 AM   #22

mslv-

When people speak about "noise" they are referring to what is a visible representation of electronic inference that appears in a photo in the form of visible speckling. It can range from rather minor speckling to very noticable speckling.

The smaller the CCD or imager that is used in a camera, as the the ISO setting is numerically increased the tendancy for "noise" is increased. That is why in most ultrazooms in which a small CCD or imager is used, there is the necessity to minimize the ISO setting to reduce the chance of "noise." Generally speaking, if you can keep your ISO setting to an ISO setting of 20 and below, you will reduce the possibility of "noise" quite measurably.

"Noise" is very similiar in appearance to the grain that we used to see in film photography, but "noise" within digital cameras is not necessarily monochromatic.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:26 AM   #23

Noise is mainly an issue in low light photos taken without a flash. Very few compact cameras can give you a nice looking photo above 400 ISO.

Some cameras, some Sonys and Nikons, have very aggressive noise reduction software that combat noise by smearing the picture excessively. Other cameras, like Canons, have less aggressive noise reduction so the photos are grainer but have more detail.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:33 PM   #24

msliv-

As promised I have four different photo samples for you. All were taken within a 7 minute period under the very same lighting conditions.

Here is the Canon A-650 offering 12 mp and 6X optical zoom

Here is the Canon G-9 offering 12mp and 6X optical zoom with a hot shoe

Here is the Canon S-5 offering 8mp and 12X optical zoom with a hot shoe

Here is the Panasonic FZ-18 offering 8mp and 18X optical zoom

So the decision seems to revolve around price, camera size, optical zoom, and hot shoe availability.

Here is a photo of the 4 cameras side by side so you have a size comparison.

I also want to identify the cameras. Looking at them from left to right, they are: the Panasonic FZ-18, the Canon S-5, the Canon A-650, and the Canon G-9.

I hope this helps.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:53 PM   #25

msliv-

To give you even better coverage, I am going to add photo samples from 2 more cameras as well as a size comparison photo.

Here is the Fuji S-8000 camera. It is an 8 mp camera with 18X optical zoom, but no hot shoe.

Here is the Panasonic TZ-3, the smallest camerawhich has 10X optial zoom, a 28 mm wide angle mode, but no hot shoe.

And here is the size comparison photo.

The cameras from left to right in the above size comprison photo are: The Panasonic FZ-18, the Fuji S-8000 on which there is a curent $(US) 50.00 rebate, the Canon S-5 and the Panasonic TZ-3.

I hope that did not add anyconfusion to this thread, but I was able to barrow two more cameras and felt that they should be included as well.

Note to msliv: I kept in mind your request for a small camera with a wide angle, so I included the Panasonic TZ-3 with 7.2 mp. It is the smallest ultazoom 10X optical zoom + a wide angle. The zoom is 28mm to 280mm! It is selling for $(US) 210-to-$(US) 230.00. It is pictured in the photo above to the far right. I hope this helps!

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:41 PM   #26

Thank you Sarah. And thank you Bradly.

In my opinion the photos from the three Canons look very much alike and are the best overall. The Panasonic FZ18 is next. The Fuji S8000 came out too red and the TZ3 too dark.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:52 PM   #27

Andy-

At least for me, because I like more than 6X optical zoom, the Canon S-5 represents the best choice. It gives me 12X of optical zoom in a smaller package than the FZ-18 or S-8000that has IS and offers a hot shoe as well. The price at $(US) 315.00 is also quitecomfortable.

There is one more possible choice, and that is the Sony H-3 camera. It is an even physically smaller camera than the Canon S-5, but a different shape than the TZ-3 camera. The Sony H-3 is better at high ISO settings and it costs less, about $(US) 230.00.

Here is a photo sample from the Sony H-3 for comparison.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:23 PM   #28

Sarah.

What a tremendous help you have been, I have followed all the suggestions given me, and I thank all of you for your help.

Sarah, you have been so very kind, and I can see from all your research that my choice is the Cannon G9. I checked it out at the store, and even though it is a little larger than I wanted, I can live with the size, it felt good in my hands. Also by all your effort in showing me the difference in the sizes of the different cameras, it was not that bad.

I will get on line and purchase one, as that is the cheapest way of doing it. To bad I won'thave it for my dinner party Saturday, but at least I will have it for my trip to the hill country of Texas for the bluebonnet trail.

Will be sure to send some photos.

Gratefully yours

msliv

Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:54 AM   #29

msliv-

Thank you for your praise. That is why we are here to help. Please enjoy your Canon G-9 and post a few photos whenyou have a chance.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:46 PM   #30

Hi agaian.

Best Buy had a terrific deal on the Cannon G9, $449.00 plus 6 months interesst free. So ofcourse, that was the ticket for me. I took some quick shots and am very happy. Now I just have to play with the different options. But I am sending a trial photo of me in my kitchen with a friend, I am on the right.

Happy camper

msliv

Sorry, about the picture I guess I have to learn how to do that.