Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:54 PM   #11

does Bradley know about all these images being shared around, I wonder?
wittetulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:43 PM   #12

Yes, Bradley does know that his image is very often posted. Bradley is my husband and I have his full permission to use any and all images of him on this forum.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:22 AM   #13

I'd say Canon S5 is a good option. I have owned it for a few months,and haveused the camera totakethousands ofshots. It is pretty good. I'd say it's a great camera for taking indoor portraits with flash, as well as outdoor photos. I got it for $350 at that time

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5996061

But now a recent deal for it is only $300

http://www.***************/viewtopic....213&ru=260

weing12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 5:21 AM   #14

weing-

I am very happy for you that you have had excellent sucess with the Canon S-5 IS. Unfortunately, my experience has been quite variable. I have had two copies of the S-5 and returned them. On the first one the built-in flash was intermittent, and the second did not focus sharply, which has been an ongoing complaint.

Therefore, I am hesitant to try again. Also one should keep in mind that a replacement camera will be introduced in the next two months.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:10 PM   #15

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Yes, Bradley does know that his image is very often posted. Bradley is my husband and I have his full permission to use any and all images of him on this forum.

Sarah Joyce
Yeh, Bradley is certainly the most photographed man of this forum.

Comparing Canon with Panasonic - I have cameras from both - I must say that Panasonics quality control is clearly better than that of Canon. Panasonic cameras seem to be more durable as well. Here in Germany you have two years of full warranty from Panasonic while you have only one year from Canon. On the hand the S5 with its flip out display and flash shoe is an extremely versatile cam. The CHDK hack will also come for the S5 within the next months. In particular, there will be raw mode for the S5, which the FZ18 already has. Looking at all the pros and cons I probably would select the FZ18.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 4:27 PM   #16

After my recent post about my own personal problem with 2 Canon S-5 sample. I decided to make one last attempt. I got a Canon S-5 that I could test over the Easter weekend, and then return without any restocking charges.

I must say it looks to be an excellent sample, based on the three photos taken thus far. I will shoot more photos over the weekend to verify my preliminary findings.

I have attached a photo sample that I took to check for photo sharpness. By the way the Canon S-5 that I have was made in China not Japan. None the less the fit, finish, and function seem to be absolutely 4.0.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 21, 2008, 5:24 PM   #17

Here is a much better photo sample from the Canon S-5. It was an existing light/no flash photo. I think it show that same inherent sharpness that we saw earlier in the other S-5 sample photo.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:35 AM   #18

Panasonic adventage
- 18X zoom
- RAW Support

9mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:20 AM   #19

9mot-

You are very correct about the FZ-18 having RAW support and 18X optical zoom. However, some folks, such as myself, don't feel that they do very well in existing light and the FZ-18 does nothave a hot shoe, which is a real bonus.The Canon S-5is also about equally poor in existing light, but the hot shoe, in my opinion do come to the rescue, when you need some real flash range.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 15, 2008, 9:46 PM   #20

I still have not made a decision, but I am leaning toward staying in the Panasonic family. I was momentarily excited to hear that Nikon was releasing the P80, another 18x zoom contender. My last SLR camera I bought is the Nikon N80. It's been a great camera but I'm shooting film less and less each year.

I swung by Best Buy last night and got my hands on the Nikon P80. The first disappointment was the lack of threads to add a filter over the lens. I also did not like the menu very much. Granted, I only played with it for half an hour or so, but it just didn't grab me. I could not find how to delete more than one image at a time and that should have been visible as soon as I discovered how to delete single images. I didn't detect a tele-macro setting, something I've come to enjoy using on my FZ8.

I have not managed a similar play time with the FZ18, though I've held one twice. The first one at a camera store did not have a charged battery. The second was at a party but when I saw a woman had one, she was about to leave so I only got to look at hers for a few minutes. I was interested that she found it - on closeout! - at Costco. I've been hoping it would show up there, but it looks like Costco cut them from their camera bar.

Of course the FZ18 is very similar to my current camera and what is familiar is easier. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards it. I'm very happy with my FZ8, I'm just wanting the longer zoom.

I've ruled out the Canon too. I really can't stand the idea of going back to AA batteries and I detest the joint use of the memory card slot allowing the batteries to fall out.

MacLoyal is offline   Reply With Quote